1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With Food!!

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Dezzi, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

I have 2 Hermit Crabs, and I had orginally gotten 2 from the beach, and unfortunatly 1 of them died about a week or so after we got home, but that's a whole different story. Anyway, So I have the 1 crab from the beach, and I got another from a pet store. After I got them, I thought they would Love to try new foods, after only having the bottled "food" offered to them. I have tried TONS! (too much to even list!) of new food for them, and the Only things that I could tell they even touched was- popcorn, purple cabbage, and maybe some chopped carrots. So I was wondering if it is maybe something I am doing wrong? I cut the fruits & veggies up in small pieces. But maybe not small enough? Everything I offer is clean, fresh and crisp. I have not tried any of the dried shrimp, and other foods like that, in fact, I have no idea where to even get those foods for them?? So if someone else out there has some picky eaters, then I would really appreciate ANY:) advise you could give me on what to offer them? How to prepare it? What is good mixed together? Anything at all~! I know they need a variety of foods, and they are not getting that, so I am quite worried about their diet. Also, How often should I mist them? I have been doing it, everyother day. And I have been sitting their misting bottle in a cup of warm water first, to heat it up some, is that okay? I just didn't want to mist them with freezing cold water! Also, the bottle I have, the water comes out kind of fast, will this bother their eyes? Of course I try not 2 spray directly in their faces, but sometimes it may come with a little 2 much force. Maybe I should find a softer mist bottle? Sorry so many questions, I lost one of my Hermie's, and I just want to make sure that I am doing what I should for them, and giving them proper care. So Thank you so much!

2. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Lol! Don't squirt them in their eyes! Get a softer mister or one that you can adjust. I don't always mist the crabs, I mist the crabitat and if a crab is there, he gets misted. My crabs take a dip in their water dishes to hydrate themselves when they feel the need. I dont make a point to spray them, mine kinda got a little stressed in the beginning when I did that. But everyone's crabbing ideas are different.

About the food, make sure its all organic, no table salt, no cholorine in their water. You can buy some food at vckums online store herimitcrabaddiction.

That's my info to share, but I would listen to the moderators. They know best! :)

3. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! And for the Advise! I am open to all I can get! I will definetly look for a softer spray bottle for them:) For some reason my crabs don't care for water, they never get into the water dishes with the sponges, which I have just a small amount of water in the bottom of, because I have smaller crabs. And I do feel like they really don't like to get misted, But I just worry about their gills getting too dry. But I don't want to stress them with the misting, or over mist them either. So, I guess I do need some help with that too! And I will also look into the organic foods for them too! I worry about them, and just want whats best:)
    I also want to say, that everyone I have met here has been Wonderful~! You are all so Kind, and I am thankful to have found this Amazing place! Thank you for everything, and I am So Happy to meet you All! It's so nice to come here, and everyone Loves their crabs So Much, and just that you are Willing to help me. So Thank You For That!

4. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

No poblem Dezzi! Make sure though that your largest crab can fully submerge himself into the water dishes. If you are worried about the smaller ones, keep the sea sponges but also put some small stones so they can climb out. That way you can be sure that they all get their proper baths and are able to hydrate themselves.

My crabs dont dive into the water for fun, they usually fall into by accident! lol! But at least it's there and they can fully submerge to get completely wet. Actually that's the best entertainment. My crabs take a drink then try to climb around the water dish and end up falling in! I just crack up! they are so comical! Have fun!

5. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Welcome Dezzi! The crabbies don't eat tons of food like a cat or a dog. They nibble on it slowly while your asleep at night. Then they usually chow down as they are nocturnal. Have fun with your crabbies!

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I answered your other thread where you asked this--mommy2crabs gave you good advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.