1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with a cracked tank

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Dreamin_Man, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamin_Man

Dreamin_Man Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi everyone! I have a dilemma here. I received a hermit crab, supplies galore for it, and a 30 gal habitat tank. The tank was cold and I brought it into my home and sat it on a table and the side glass cracked(the long side). Luckily the hermit crab wasn't in the tank when it happened. For a temporary fix, I scotch taped the inside and outside of the glass so the hermit crab wouldn't get hurt. How can I repair this? Is it possible to replace the section of glass?

Dreamin_Man

2. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Well you can do one of two things; you can either buy a new piece of glass, take out the old one and place the new one in sealing it with a tank sealer. Otherwise just buy the sealant and put a layer along the inside and outside of the crack. The only problem is the sealant smells really bad and your hermie will have to be in another home for three days, I think it is, until the sealant stuff is totally dry but after that its good as new. (for a hermit anyway) I would personally just seal the glass that there because replacing the glass is a lot of work and if you put a fish tank back-round on that side of the tank it will help to cover the look of the crack. Hope this helps.

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

using the sealant is a good way to fix a broken tank. i fixed a frog tank with that. and i also had hermits in a broken tank so i had my dad help me fix it with sealant. first though you have to wipe around the crack with acetone nail polish remover. the sealant sticks better and longer to a clean surface and the acetone cleans the glass very good. then wipe dry and put the sealant on. then let it dry for three days or until the smell of the sealant is gone. then clean out he tank with a 3% bleach solution and rinse well. then add crabs to ur tank.

4. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have a tank that is cracked on one side, so thanks for the advice!

5. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

Silicon-based calking shound do the trick. They got some good transparent ones out there that you can hardly notice!

6. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

i had one that my brother hit with a football and cracked. the silicone for fish tanks works great. you can either smooth out the silicone or leave it as a bump. i left mine like a bump and my crabs used to hang from it.

7. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

i have a tank that's cracked in one corner and it works just fine, and it doesn't bother the crabs at all, they don't even know it's there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.