1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help!!Please!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Ivka, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivka

Ivka Hi, I'm New Here!

4 days back my crab left off activity.He hide in seashell.2 day I did not touch him,watch him.then I noticed that near to the output paws not stick-weakened.crab did not eat, did not drink.Supposing, molting began I insulated him from other crabs.He moved paws the first day of isolation but rarely.The second day did not move at all. paws are weak and inside,but head is invisible,claws are inside. I lift him up and alike ,that he sticks there.But irresponsive on irritants... possibly that he was strongly beaten by cohabitants.Although strange is he most active and always attacked the others .May he is ill?? Is not it desirable about it to think, but may be he is dead??.... how to define??
    It seems he smells.But not opposite and not fish,most likely-a smell of shrimp.A smell is weak so,that my boyfriend said,that he smells nothing.Tell me please,how I can help my crab??I am really upset!
    Thank you!!

p.s.My crabs have lived with me for 5 monthes already.And nothing mattered them before this incident...

2. leathaface

leathaface Hi, I'm New Here!

Don't touch or disturb him. Mist his area with dechlorinated water and make sure its as dark and quiet as possible.

If the smell is really really strong.. then he's dead. If its a faint smell, then it could be the smell of a freshly molted crab.
    Do not 'irritate' him too much. Too many interruptions at such a fragile state can lead to release of certain hormones that can cause death during the crucial time of molting!

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

What is your temp and humidity? Just because they live a long time does not mean they have the exact right conditions. I know nothing about your tank so that's not referring to you. HE may be surface molting. If he is then you might want to look over your whole tank and conditions, substrate etc. Something is probably amiss if he surface molts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.