1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help deciding on substrate

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by imported_Mermaid, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Mermaid

imported_Mermaid Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm replacing my crabs substrate this weekend because I have mites. I'm an amateur crabber and need some help. I've been using EE and was wondering how you deal with crab poop if you can't see it? Since I can't tell it apart from the substrate, is it bad for it to be in there?

Also, I'm thinking of using sand this time for this reason. Will it stress my crabs out if I suddenly go from EE to sand? They bury a lot and I only see them out for about an hour per day.

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

well i just switched from e.e. to sand because of a HAVE TO situation. i had little flying bugs that were getting big!
    i don't know if they were gnats from fruit or bugs from bark i didn't get killed off. i have used both e .e. and sand on and off for 3 yrs, they tend to poop in one spot if it's left alone. cholla wood from hobby lobby was one of my crabs fave spots, i took it out and went to wash it out and it was full of it! if they are perching on anything, i bet if you move it you'll find poop! you can see it on the e.e. if you look real close.
    if you have mites, you'll want to make sure your tank is super cleaned out before you put stuff back, i would ditch anything that can't be boiled or baked, find the section that deals with mites or bugs.. your crabs will prob need to be treated. i don't know how to do this i never delt with this, you can p.m. jelly bean or one of the others.. good luck!!! my crabs don't give a crud if they have sand or e.e. they don't dig until they have to molt

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I have'nt seen them but I got 4 chickens a couple of weeks ago and had their food in my house. It got flying bugs in it and the tank . Found out they were baby millers which is harmless.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It's said that the crab poop will blend in and decompose in the EE. This has no ill effects on the Hermies at all.

I have only used EE and it works great for me. It is easy to remove and the crabs seem to love it. It makes a lighter tank than the sand also. A lot of others love the sand, and some mix the two together, but it's really a personal preference.

Make sure you thoroughly clean your tank very well with vinegar and water (one part vinegar and 4 parts water) and then rinse well with water. If boiling things double your salt to make the water mixture and boil your things in that.

Good luck... :flower:

5. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

I have been using a combination of 50 sand and 50 EE. Its a good combo for me. The sand I have found doesnt hold alot of the moisture ofer time, and the EE helps out with that.

6. imported_Donna M

imported_Donna M (Micro Crab)

This reply may be too late, but I've been using CoCo Husk made by Exo Terra (sold in Petsmart in the section for lizards). It comes in bricks. I love it and my crabs seem to love it, too. It doesn't have all the "dirt" in it that EE does, which I really dislike as it gets all over everything (including the crabbies). I dislike sand for the same reason. The coco husk holds moisture well but never molds, no matter how wet it gets. And the label states that poop just disintegrates, so instead of having to scoop sand, I just stir up the substrate frequently (until I change all the substrate). All of my crabs have molted just fine in it, too.

7. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

I have used both, and I really can't decide. Having so many crabs addicted to the addiction store food has proved to be a bit troublesome- as they poop everywhere! But it's all good, I'm just glad they're healthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.