1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a lot of help too understand

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by beeb14, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

I just recently bought two hermit crabs named on crazy and the other kate. They keep themselves buried all the time and I havn't seen them molting or anything. I want too see them active and not bury themselves. I also don't know if the tanks im using are big enought for them both and i plan too buy more! thank you for any of your help!

p.s. if someone can tell me how to post more than one picture, so i can show the size of my tank and crabs

2. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

I got new crabs in Feb. they were buried for a long time, I think they were de-stressing and then molting. Only two have come back. Here is how long they have been down:

Alisa: 6 weeks, went down first day in tank (came up this week after a molt)

Madeline: over 6 weeks (came up this week after a molt)

Fireball: 11 weeks and counting (went down first day, came up for a few minutes after about a month, then dug back down)

Emma: 5 weeks and counting (went down after about 7 weeks of hanging out by herself)

3. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

Im worried because now they r under the whole floor bed i put out and isolated each other from each other

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Right now is a critical time for them. Let them bury and let them be for a while untill they get use to their new home. They are destressing at the moment and or getting ready to molt. This is a time that could make the difference between life or death. Handle very little if at all for about the first 3wks or so. What size is your tank?

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I also heard that if the conditions are not right they will bury down under, ex: like is it to hot in the tank? I was frustrated to after I bought mine and they went under, I bought them to watch not bury under for months! Mine went under for a bit came up ate a lot hit the salt baths then went back under, heard them digging around for a few days then it was all quiet & didn't see them for 2 months.
    I have 4 large to jumbo size in a 22 gal tank with a chunk of that chola wood in the corner { not sure how to spell it} standing up right with grapvines and fake plants inter twined behind it and 2 huge rocks holding the wood up so it don't tip over, the crabs crawl all over it, the other end more fake plants by the UTH with some slate rock for them to sit on by it & in the middle are my water dishes & in the other corner is my new hut I got from crab patch with the shells. they still have room to crawl around & places to dig in. I don't think I will get any more crabs, it's kind of crowded. If the place I got mine sold smaller ones I would prob have about 20 in my tank! Got my tank where it's about 5 ft from my rocker / recliner so I can watch them. They are so dorky at times!
    sorry I'm all befudled on how to do pictures on here other than put them on facebook or pic niks and copy & paste I'm still trying to figure out how to resize my pics to 400x400! :BangHead:

6. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

first of all thanks for the help. I figured out only one is isolating itself and i dont think the temperture is the problem i have them in a 2 gallon fish tank i believe. Also the other one is active at night so thats good. and i have three of the small logs piled up all one corner, a water bowl with 2 sponges, a log bridge thingy next too the water so it can climb and etc., and also have about 2 3/4 of the jungle land for them. does that sound okay for them too live in?

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

That sounds like it'll be okay for now, but crabs need more room than 2 gallons. In the wild they have been found to walk up to 2 miles in a night! Please look into getting at least a 10g tank. They aren't too expensive - I've seen them for $15 - $20 in WalMart.

8. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

Now that you say it, i should go get one and would u knoe how much more beding i would need?

9. Mama Crabs

In my 10 gallon set up I bought 1 50 pound bag of playsand at Home depot for under 5 bucks, then bought one brick of Coconut fiber under 10 bucks (can't remember price). After setting up my substrate making it 2xs as deep as my biggest crabs and I still have left overs of each product.

10. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

okay thank you but now i need too order a 10 gallon tank haha

11. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

and also how many should be able too fit inside that 10 gallon tank?

12. Mama Crabs

To be honest, I wish I never started with a 10 gallon. About a month after we bought a 10 gallon we went to a 29 gallon. The reason was that once we put in two water dishes, food dish, extra shells and fun stuff to climb on and hide under, I knew we needed more room. In our 10 gallon, we have 4 crabs, 1 small, 2 mediums, and one big medium. They all were not up at the same time since most dug down the first day, but I have a feeling that we were at our max at 4 crabs, and it felt crowded with all the "stuff". To get an idea of our original set up, and where we have expanded to, look at my son's blog, one of the posts has a pic of our 10 gallon set up. Once we move our crabs to our 29 gallon, we will be hopefully adding 3 E's, so I'm sure I will wish I had a bigger tank again! :chuckle:

Here is his blog with pics: http://crabsville.blogspot.com/
    (note that the food dish isn't even in the tank)

13. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

sounds very cool i like your son's set up of the hermit crab setting

14. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

here in illinois yard sales are the answer! I got my 22 gal for 8$! check good will stores, second hand shops, ect to for tanks, I had a 10 gallon first we used just for 2 large crabs and it was crowded with the extra stuff you needed, but you can always make different levels like a glad ware container with a door cut out tipped up side down with sand piled on top becomes a cave and a second level to climb on, the wood stuck down in the sand upright with fake plants around it & a couple big rocks to hold it up they can climb on.. you will be surprised at what you can find to use! I wouldn't use out side yard ornaments they tend to smell maybe it's a chermical reaction.

15. beeb14

beeb14 Hi, I'm New Here!

yeah i found me a tank from pets mart for about 13$ so ima pick it up later this week end. And i used a lot of things around my house for them i think there starting to get more comfortable in their new crabitat so thats very exciting for me! :biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.