1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a forever home

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by Emma Jean, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

I have 7 hermies and 2 of them are quite aggressive. Right now I have them in separate ISO tanks but I'm at a lose as to what to do with them. My roommate don't want any other tanks set up and they aren't very happy that there are 3 tanks right now. I don't want to give them up but I obviously don't know what to do with them and I think they would be better with someone who can handle the tempers they have. I've tried the high protein diet and they are still very aggressive towards the other crabs.
    Lily is a medium PP who is very friendly with me but will try to attack anything that moves in the same general area as her. She will come out of her shell and will run after any of the other crabs, flip them over and start attacking them with her big claw, its pretty scary. I also tried for a bit to take her back to the pet store I work at and put her back in the original cage that she was in. She killed 2 large, 3 med., and 4 smaller hermies that were in the tank with her. She NEEDS an experienced person to work with her and I'm not that experienced yet, nor do I have a really good set up for her right now. She deserved a better life then I can give her right now.
    The other hermie is Maggie, a small PP (I believe). I've been trying to work with her aggression for a while now as well and she has been in the tank until now. Maggie has had a problem attacking Charlie and Bijou for quite some time now. Charlie is to the point were she won't even come out of her shell anymore and poor little Bijou just stays up high in the tank all the time and is petrified of coming do to get food and water since every time she does Maggie is there waiting for her. Maggie seems fine with Izzy, who is the dominant and I've never seen her go after Shyza or Anya who are the larger 2 that I have so I think the just likes to pick on the smaller or shy hermies so I would recommend that she goes to a home with some hermies that are a bit larger then her.
    If anyone can adopt them I would greatly appreciate it and would love to be able to keep up with their rehab. I am in MN right now and in May I will be in WI. Please let me know if you are interested in either one of these girls.

2. hello_hammerheads

hello_hammerheads "First Molt, A Success"

i would gladly take them and help them through this, but i live in maine =[ i am only 16 so i don't have a car, but i do live on my own, but i am moving in with my mom soon, my room mates bug me.
    i had agression problems and i just iso'd them for a while wverytime and they learned not to attack. i don't know if i am the best person cause i am still kind of new at this, try pm-ing some people and putting adds in papers or leave notes with pet stores to tell owners or other people they know that could help.

sorry =[

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Emma Jean I can try to help you out as much as possible. I know some people close to where you are and can get in contact with them to find out if they can be of any help to you.
    PM me if you need to get ahold of me, I will PM you when I have some info for you.

4. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Thanks to both of you. I've tried the ISO thing and that hasn't worked for Lily at least. I just don't understand how a hermit can be that aggressive. As far as Maggie, I think she just doesn't like Charlie and Bijou or she just likes picking on them, I don't know. Any help would be great and I really want them to go to a good home since I feel horrible for not demanding to keep but I don't want to irritate my roommates anymore since they don't want my rabbits here either.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I had someone PM me on my site about your crabs. Do you have an email address you feel comfortable giving me to give them so they can contact you? If so, just PM me with it.

6. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

I'd love to take one of your hermies, but unforetunately I live far away...:( The crabs sound too sweet though. Hope they find a good home.

7. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Curious, can the two crabs be kept together or does agression occur?

I'm in Iowa and have extra tanks if all else fails ;)

8. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

To answer your question, I have to have them in separate tanks because Maggie, the smaller one, wouldn't go after Lily but Lily will go after anything that moves right now. But there is good news, Vikki has introduced me to someone that will be able to take both of them for me and I found another person to talk to about these little critters with which is great! Thanks for all the help and good thoughts.

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome, tho I didn't do much but give the site link and your ID. Keep us posted!

10. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

I dont know where you are moving in Wisconsin, but I live in Upper Michigan, if you still have your problem crab when you move let me know, I would be willing to meet you half way or something along those lines. It's kind of ironic because I have been looking into starting up a rescue in my home for exotic pets that people no longer want for whatever reason. (For example: can't afford them any more, or realized they were too much work.) I am hoping to be up and running within the next few months. Let me know, and good luck to you!

11. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

I will be making the trip home this weekend and Hermitadictedmama will be adopting them. I'm so happy that someone will be able to work with them and hopefully integrate them into a tank with others.

12. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

I am only twelve but I will take them. I don't want to have to pay shipping and handelng for them though. I will give you my address.

13. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Oh sorry I didn't see that.

14. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

No problem, thanks for the option. Its nice to know others are many people willing to help.

15. hermitaddictedmama

hermitaddictedmama Hi, I'm New Here!

Woohooo! New (naughty?) babies this weekend!! Sounds like Lily the small wants to molt. Cant wait to meet EVERYbody!! Fun times; Emma Jean says she has never seen a Straw or Ruggie, so I called and got permission to take the crabbies into a Petco near here to meet and browse. Hopefully they will have a stray Viola.

16. hermet lover

hermet lover Hi, I'm New Here!

i will adouped one put i live in alabama :( i would thow i am onl;y 11 but i have 3 and all are helthy my mother will not drive there ether got any ideas? i really whant 1 or 2! whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa its not fair!

17. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

I would also be willing to help you out. I have 6 hermit crabs and I just recently placed them in a larger tank so now I have an extra for a crab or 2. I live in OHio I know they say shipping is bad but next daying them with someother helpful tips keeps them safe and healthy!

18. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

THats great to hear! I'm glad they found good homes!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.