1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

naked?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kittykat, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittykat

kittykat Hi, I'm New Here!

my one crab that kept going in the corner by the water dish, was naked yesterday! i put ee in the ten gallon yesterday morning, and a couple plants, and scooped up my streaker and put him in that tank by himself. i know that he was okay, because he was running his naked body away from me when i tried to get him. i put in three shells (different sizes, including his original one) with him. i then had to go to work, but when i got home, he was in another shell, but he isn't running around. i know that he is moving, because there was some ee in the water dish. he has a white spot on one leg that i can see (he is tightly in the shell). does anyone know what he is doing or what i should do now? he is still in the ten gallon by himself, since i don't know if he is going to streak again, and i don't want anyone to bother him. but will he be lonely by himself?
    thanks for all your help
    danielle

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Bravo Danielle on two counts...first you got him into ISO and second you did get him to go back into a shell. Lets hope he stays there.

I would leave him in the ISO by himself for the time being. If he begins to exhibit "normal" behavior for a few days, I would put him back.

As far as the white spot, is it like mold or could it be where his exo is beginning to work free from his new skin underneath? Has he molted with you before? Some crabs do go naked before they molt so this may be what he is up to. If you think he may be attempting to molt (if he is showing signs of PMS), leave him in the ISO.

I wouldn't worry too much about him being lonely, since he will eventually return to his friends.

3. kittykat

i have never had anyone molt yet. i think that two are molting, as they have buried themselves and have not come up for over a week. it does not look like mold. it is solid white, on one of the joints like on his leg. if he was going to molt, would he have ran so fast while naked to get away from me? he isn't buried, just tucked in his shell real tight.
    thank you
    danielle

4. kittykat

and actually, my three year old thinks she got hime back in the shell, because before we all left for work/school, she told him to "get in your shell". she was very happy when we got home to find that he listened to her! lol

5. kittykat

NEVER MIND!!!!!!!!!!! I just had my first molt!!! my naked guy decided to molt in the corner. i just went in to check on him in iso, and he looked like he was very lightly colored. then i looked at the main tank, and noticed a claw sticking out from where the streaker was laying, and i picked it up, and it was just an empty claw! I am so excited!! how long should i keep him in iso now, expecially now that i know what he did. YEAAAAAA. my first molt! now what do i do?????
    danielle

6. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>now what do i do?????
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sit on your hands and worry-lol
    That is what I did with my first molt.
    It is so vry hard to leave them be when you are so worried about them. Mine took 40 days, it was a loooooong wait for me!

7. kittykat

well, i have to sadly report that my little molter just died tonight. he looked very dark, and almost fell out of his shell. his body looked completely shriveled up, and eyes were dull. i was so excited to think that i just had a successful molt. i did just get another crab, a very very small one. he is alive, he moves slightly, and i can see a white gel like sac under him. he is somewhat mostly in his shell, but i can see a sac. what is that? i put him in iso, i just got him yesterday. what do u think the sac is? what else could i have done for my deceased molter?
    thanks,
    danielle

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

aww, I'm sorry to hear that your first molter didn't make it. I don't think there is much more you could have done to help him pull through. The fact that he had gone naked is usually not a good sign to begin with. Typically healthy little crabbies stay in their shells. Remember what they go through before they get to us. I am actually surprised I have not lost more crabs than I have.

Your new little one sounds like he has a food storage sack. It usually will darken up closer to a molt, but that can also depend on the crab too. I have had a few crabs that had a black sack and a few that had a greyish/white looking sack before going down to molt.

9. kittykat

well, unfortunately, the little guy also passed. he only lasted a day. when i came home from work the next day, the was also out of his shell, shriveled up, and smelly. this one was sooooo tiny. i really wanted him to make it. i only got him because i went to petsupermarket to get a bottle for my birds,and i looked in the crab tank, and he was the smallest one with all big ones. there was a dead crab in the tank, so i wanted to try to rescue the little one at least (paid $8 because of his "pretty shell"). well, i hope he was at least happy for one day.
    danielle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.