1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naked molting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by BL00DYMARY, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

What is this, an epidemic?

I'd noticed the past few days that my favorite crab, my XL Strawberry Zeus, had been acting lethargic, and his eyes had gotten cloudy and carapace ashy. Two days ago he sat in the freshwater bowl for awhile. Yesterday has was hanging around the edge of the saltwater pool. He was still there around 11:30pm when I got home from taking my boyfriend to work. At 12:30 when I was heading in to bed, I found him facedown naked in the pool with his shell next to him. I removed the entire pool with him in it and placed it in a KK which I put inside the main tank. I also put a shell of freshwater and a shell of calcisand in for him. He does smell fishy...I hope that's the molting smell?? The KK is not deep enough to give him enough substrate to dig in, but it doesn't seem like he's going to want to dig anyway. The temp in the tank is 75 and the humidity is 77%. I'm really worried about him, he's my favourite crab.

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Soca ended up going naked and passed away sometime today in the SW dish. His abdomen swelled up and the end of it became almost transparent looking in one area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

OH, I'm so sorry to hear about Soca Wendy. [​IMG]

4. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Wendy,
    I'm so sorry Soca passed away. [​IMG]

Your pictures are very interesting.
    Any ideas why his abdomen may have
    swelled and become transparent?

Ally, Zeus is in my thoughts,too.
    cj

5. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Zeus is gone too. [​IMG]

6. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Thanks everyone. I was pretty fond of Soca-you know how certain ones just tug at your heart strings a bit more than others...

Ally I am terribly sorry to hear about your beautiful Zeus. [​IMG] What a gorgeous crabbie he was.

7. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Wow...this is flustrating with all of the crabs that are passing all of a sudden. The more I read through posts the more it makes me wonder because of what Herbie did before she passed. She had half sat in the salt water for a while, then came out of her shell, went into a new one and passed. Strange.

8. Kriston

Kriston Hi, I'm New Here!

"She had half sat in the salt water for a while, then came out of her shell, went into a new one and passed. Strange.[/QUOTE]

This scares me because we are so new at this. We bought two hermit crabs about 10 days ago, one of them (Spongebob) was lethargic from the get go and the other one (Hermione)was somewhat active for 3 days. During that time, she ate like a horse and drank alot too. Then she sat in the salt water pool for a whole day/night then switched into a new shell. The next day, she switched into yet another shell. Now she has joined Spongebob in the coconut hut (where he has been since day 1). We haven't seen hide nor hair of them in about a week. They aren't eating or drinking. I shine a flashlight in the hut each evening to check their position and they do seem to move about within the hut - about an inch every now and then. What should I do. My kids (5 & 7)are so understanding, but I feel sorry for them. They each got $50.00 as a Christmas gift and they have been saving it all this time to finally buy Hermit Crabs and a nice crabitat. They/we have spent nearly $200.00 in the past two weeks on crab paraphanalia and now their crabs won't even come out of their hut! (One reason we bought so much is because we feared they didn't like their crabitat since they wouldn't come out of their coconut hut!) I explained all about molting to them and now my 5 year old tells everyone that "We got hermit crabs but they can't play because they are busy eating their own skin off!" I truly hope that these little guys are molting instead of dying! My kids would be so heartbroken.... and so would I! I think that they will be a blast to watch when they finally come out of the hut!

9. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I've been putting off posting this.. Gramps did not make it. He did eventually begin to molt topside, but he did not make it through his molt. He died shortly before I set up my new crab haven and he never got to see the larger tank that would have surely bennifited him as I was inexperienced when I purchased him & kept him in less than ideal conditions for so long. I feel that he may have gone under if only I had known about this place earlier, but he was already premolt for so long by the time I added the deeper substrate & too week to dig under. I have learned so much from coming here, and I am so grateful for all of the advice & information this place offers. I just wish there wasn't a learning curve at the expense of living creatures. There shouldn't & doesn't have to be.. the info offered here should be available anyplace that these creatures are being sold.

10. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I'm really sorry to hear that BloodyMary. I still miss Herbie most of the time. I feel so bad that she died a week or two before I got my larger aquarium, and I know she would have loved it. But I'm sure Hermie Heaven is a much better place, expecially after what they have went through to get here.

11. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

Sorry about all the dead crabs.... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.