1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naked molting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by BL00DYMARY, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

My biggest crab decided to molt out in the open in the middle of my tank. He's almost all the way out of his shell, and I can see him struggling out of his old exoskeleton.. it's really cool to watch. But what do I do about my other crabs? Are they all going to try to eat him? The other crabs in the tank are all tiny compared to him, I have one more that is pretty big, but he went under last week when I did my tank and he hasn't come up since so I suspect he is molting too. Do I need to worry about the little guys eating a jumbo, or will he be able to protect himself? I can't move him right now.

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

One option is to take a 2 litre soda bottle and remove the top, cut off the bottom and gently put it over your molter. Push the bottle all the way down to the bottom of the tank to prevent any other tank mates from trying to dig under the barrier.

The other option, which I would only suggest if he is in a spot in which you can't maneuver the soda bottle would be to ever so carefully lift him out with a large serving spoon and gently place him into the ISO (have it right next to you when you do this)

Best of luck...that has to be so interesting to watch. Keep us updated [​IMG]

3. BL00DYMARY

OK thanks, I moved him into ISO. I was able to scoop him up without disturbing him too much (I hope). He had pulled back into his shell a little bit, like he's taking a breather. Let me tell you that looks like hard work, it's like going thru labor to give birth to yourself! I'm so tempted to take pictures but I don't want the flash to freak him out.

4. kuplakrabs

Did your crabbie look anything like this? Soca decided to sit like this for over 2 hours today. He never flinched when I walked up to the tank. Since I have never had a topsider, I was wondering if that is what he was up to...My little peach ruggie walked over to see him and he still never moved. At first I thought he was finally going to change shells, but alas, he ended up moving over to the side of the tank near the "warm spot". He is the only crab I have that has not changed shells.

[​IMG]

5. BL00DYMARY

"topsider" of course there's a name for it! And yes, he did look like that! He was actually acting wierd all week. He slowed down and he always seemed to be in the same position Soca is in your picture, almost all the way out of his shell. He was barely moving most of the time, but then at night he would pratically suck up all of the food and water. A couple of hours ago I noticed he was almost all the way out of his shell, I could see his abdomen and his little back legs looked like they were rubbing his tush.. lol that's the best way I can describe it. Then within a few minutes you could clearly see that his "tush" had started moving up over his body and there was a new one emerging behind it. He struggled and moved all of his legs around a lot for a while and then he pulled his exposed rear back into the shell and stopped moving again. I can no longer see the seem where his new body begins, but the whole front of his body is still hanging out of the front of his shell.

6. kuplakrabs

WOW....
    Soca's little back legs were doing the same thing-rubbing at his bum LOL. I won't be able to sleep tonight wondering if he is going to molt on me. He really needs to. He has been very sluggish since I got him almost 4 months ago. I can't understand why he won't leave that silly shell (which btw, has a green patch of algae inside it-ick). The other two I bought at the same time changed shells within 2 days time (they had holes the size of a dime) and one is currently down molting.

7. BL00DYMARY

Well, good luck to you and Soca. It certainly sounds like they are doing the same thing. I know I will sleep better now that I moved grampa away from the others. I thought I was going to have to stay up all night and possibly move all of my other crabs into iso. Thanks for your help.

8. kuplakrabs

LOL, I ended up moving Soca into the 30g that one of his pal's is molting in and now-I covered it so it is completely dark and now he is sitting like that in the fresh water dish. I hope he is going to molt and not leave this earthly world. I want SOOOOO bad to peak at him all the time, but I have enough self control to limit it to every other day to change the food and water...well I'm not too sure what I will do if he stays in the water.

9. BL00DYMARY

Well, gramps is in iso now too, and now I'm not so sure he is molting. He's just acting wierd. I've heard the bigger crabs can take a very long time to complete a molt, how long do you suppose it will take?
    Also my other jumbo went under last week and I havn't seen him since. I thought I knew where he was, but I actually have no idea. I don't want him to be trapped under the water dish or anything else, but I don't want to disturb him either. Should I be worried?

10. kuplakrabs

My large PP Tabitha (slightly smaller than a tennis ball) just came up from her first molt! She has been down since December 18th-so nearly 2 months have passed. My Jumbo went down the day before she did and I have not been able to see him at the bottom for a while now. There was a time when I could see them-only 3 inches apart from each other, but then Nico disappeared. The substrate must have shifted around and covered the glass. I can't stand not knowing where he is, but I will not go looking for him. I think he must still be in the same general area though.

Tabby came from the most horrible conditions out of all my hermies. In fact, my first hermie death was also one that I bought the at the same store Tabby came from. Nasty small 5 gallon tank with wood chips, no lid, no food/water/sponges, dead hermies everywhere and a metal rack of some sort for them to climb on...She has a special place in my heart and I was extra delighted to see her at the water dish today! I still have the one other crab that I purchased that day too, Underdog.

11. kuplakrabs

Any word on Gramps? Soca hasn't molted either...he just keeps acting wierd too. Sitting in one spot just hanging out of his shell. Occassionally he moves spots, but then continues his bizzare position. Now, Calypso, who was buried for the better part of a month has decided to resurface the last 4 days. It's as if he knew his tank mate was back. So now I have two unmolted crabs just sitting in the dark 30g tank. They are both pretty big so I am sure it will take them a while to molt. Just wish they'd get to it.

12. BL00DYMARY

I was just checking in to see if you had any changes with Soca. Gramps is still acting the same, he's very slow. But when I give him food he still devours it, so I'm hopeful that this is a sign of good health. He's big so maybe a molt will just take him a very long time? He's never molted for me in almost 2 years.

13. kuplakrabs

Still no change here either...I have seen him at the water and food dish, but he still doesn't move around very much. The tank definitely has the "molting" smell. I feel like I did when I was pregnant...just waiting and wondering "will this be the day?"

I have a medium size crab (golf ball) that was pre molt for the longest time-probably a good 3 months. I thought he (MJ) was going to die, actually, because he was just not moving around much and hiding all the time in the cork hut. When he finally went down, I held my breath. He emerged about 5 or 6 weeks later very nicely molted. He came up, changed shells and is now wearing a gorgeous specimen turbo petholatis [​IMG]

Soca is a bit bigger than MJ, so who knows how long he is going to take. My Jumbo was pre molt when I got him in October. He didn't go down until the middle of December and he is still there. This waiting is a real pain in the hind end LOL.

14. kuplakrabs

Update on Soca. He is in the fresh water dish and his exo has gotten very pale and ashy looking, including his eyes, so it must be in progress.

15. BL00DYMARY

Gramps is still the same. Not moving around much, but will eat anything I put in front of him and "grooms" himself constantly.

16. kuplakrabs

He's eating-thats good. Hmmm...Soca is just barely moving around at all now. He was eating the honey (in the comb) I put in the other night, but for the last 3 days nada. I wish he'd get on with it. Honestly this topside thing is driving me batty. The tank smells like molting, so I am remaining optimistic at this point. I ended up moving Calypso out to the 75g tank and leaving Soca alone. Maybe he feels self conscious LOL

17. kuplakrabs

Soca changed shells yesterday, finally. But things don't look good. I found him in the new shell today but he was on his back with his legs in the air. He left his old shell in the salt water dish. He is still alive, but barely moving. His eye tips are white, but I don't think he will make it through a molt-if that is what he is up to.

Put in some shallow food & water dishes so he could climb in and out easily and gave him some honey, chamomile flowers, bee pollen and mashed banana. Hopefully he will pull through, but I'm not too sure at this point now.

18. JennCrab

JennCrab Hi, I'm New Here!

3 days ago Lady wasn't looking to good. When I picked up her shell she FELL OUT! I thought she was dead. I started to take her out of the tank and she moved so I left her there. A few hours later she was lying naked on the sand next to her exo! Her BP and all the legs on that side are missing[​IMG] I put food and water close by and put half of a two liter bottle over her to keep the other 3 away from her. She looks so pathetic lying there all naked and helpless!!! I don't know what to do! I don't think she'll make it[​IMG] Is there a chance that she could regenerate the dropped limbs?
    I'm very worried for her...

19. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

If she pulls through, she'll regenerate her lost limbs during the next molt. She won't be able to do it this time.

I'm sorry your crab is having trouble molting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. Molting is definately the hardest time in a crab's life.

20. kuplakrabs

So sorry to hear about Lady [​IMG] I hope she pulls through her molt and regerates those limbs next time.

Soca just decided to go naked today with no interest in any of the shells he has to choose from. He's just sitting in the corner with his abdomen curled underneath him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.