1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naked Hermie!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by LdyPebSaby, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LdyPebSaby

LdyPebSaby Hi, I'm New Here!

O.O My eldest hermie, Casandra, has left her shell... she's sitting naked in a corner of the tank... WHAT DO I DO??

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Clean her shell and others that are her size and put them near her. If you have a shell that would fit her, but is not as heavy, definitely offer it. Sometimes dribbling some salt water mix in the shells makes them more attractive. Then give her some peace and quiet.

Crabs usually leave their shells because of a fight (I'm assuming that's not the case), an irritant in the shell, or being too weak to carry it any longer. Rarely, a crab may leave its shell to molt, and its conceivable that an overheated crab would leave its shell to cool off.

In the first two cases, the crab will probably be willing to put on a clean shell. But if the crab has become lethargic I'm not sure the prognosis is very good. I have had a naked, lethargic crab choose a lighter shell when offered, which is better than being naked, but ultimately the crab did not make it. My guess is that this lethargy is another expression of post-purchase stress, though I have seen it in crabs as much as eight months after purchase.

I hope Cassandra is able to choose a new shell. Until she does, it's especially important to keep temperature and especially humidity levels at the high end of the range. Good luck to both of you.

3. LdyPebSaby

LdyPebSaby Hi, I'm New Here!

I've had her for over a year... and now she's lethargic... she did go to a shell, for a bit, but left it today... I have four shells around her... but I dunno...

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'm sorry. [​IMG] It's hard to have a crab you've had for so long behave this way. I hope she gets dressed, but I agree that it's probably not likely. You never know, though, so don't give up hope.

5. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

put a bowl or cut 2 liter bottle over her and make sure she is humid and dark. Happy did that for 3 days when he molted and I put a damp cloth over the hole in the hollow tube I put over him. She needs dark and quiet right now before she stresses out more.

6. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Just checking, how is your hermie today? Is she doing better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.