1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naked escapee??

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by BL00DYMARY, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Last night my son noticed casper's empty shell floating in the second level of the water fountain. This troubled me a little because there were no shells up there for him to have switched into, and I can't imagine that he would have carried it back up there after a shell change. I have no idea how it could have gotten there. I've been keeping my eye out, and I have yet to see him- although it isn't unusual for him to stay buried most of the day. Only after trying to figure out how the shell would have gotten there I realized that it may be possible that in an attempt to squeeze through the small opening in the top of the tank where the cord for the fountain is, is it possible that he shead his shell to fit out? Could he be streaking in my house somewhere? And if so where do I look? I searched along all of the walls & baseboards & I've turned off my AC to keep the temp/humidity at a level he could survive in. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Am I worrying for nothing? What are the chances that a crab would do something like this?

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

eeek! Let's hope he is somewhere in the tank...possibly in another shell that was on the bottom level-maybe he traveled to it naked and then hopped in?? then buried himself. Do you have any molters down? If not, I would go looking for him in the substrate to make sure you aren't feverishly searching your house in vain.

I have heard of crabs leaving their shells to fit through small openings to get to food. This is from a source that was telling me about how wholesalers get the crabs into painted shells. They place the crabs on one side of a cage, the food and painted shells on the other. There are bars in between that they can only fit through to get to the food without their shell. Basically starve them into the other shells. But that is neither here nor there.

I can't think of why your crab would try to escape your tank naked though-but then again, my mind doesn't exactly work like a crabs lol. Is it possible he is in a shell coiled so far back that you can't see him at all? I have had a few crabs do that to me. Thank goodness I didn't feel the need to boil and clean the shells on a whim.

If you don't find him in the tank, place a few small dishes of water and food around the house and set up camp to watch for him. That's really the best advice I can come up with [​IMG]

3. BL00DYMARY

Yikes! So they do come out of their shells to fit! There was plenty of food/ water in the tank. I am going to dig around the substrate, but I have suspected molters mid-substrate so I have to be careful. [​IMG] I hope he is still in the tank. Good Idea with the food/ water.. I already left a few shells around. I will do that too.

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I guess if he really wanted to get out of the tank he would vacate his shell to do so, but it seems highly unlikely that is what he was up to. If you don't find him in the substrate, I suspect he may have escaped naked.

5. BL00DYMARY

I found him!! He was still in the tank, AND still in his shell. The shell I found in the fountain was a tiger moon snail shell of the same size as his. I still have no idea how it got there, but at least Casper is safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.