1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naked crab! Not again. :(

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by MoribundMaverick, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Okay, so here's the deal... I left to go out of town on Monday, as in two days ago. I had five of my crabs up above sand, and I noticed that since Padre's or Jerzy's (not sure which one it is) most recent molt, they had outgrown the extra shells I had for them, and that I should get some more big shells, because he didn't seem to like the other shells I had and was chilling in a shell that was slightly too small.
    Well I came home this afternoon and when I went to check on my crabs, Padre (or Jerzy) was naked, sitting on the opposite side of the tank from his old shell! I quick got the crab into ISO and grabbed all the shells he could ever want to wear, then went to WalMart and bought some larger shells also. He's been naked for at LEAST five hours now, and is showing no signs of wanting to put a shell on. He just crawls around the tank like normal... except he is dragging one of his legs a little more than normal. Either that or it just looks like it because he doesn't have a shell on anymore..
    Anyways, like I said, I was gone so idk if the temp or humidity went wrong while I was gone, but it was right when I came back. The sand is about 7-8", there is a giant salt water "swimming pool," and also a slightly smaller fresh water pool, I feed them shrimp and my special home made "hermit cookies" which have calcium suppliments in there. I have NO clue what is wrong or why my crab went naked, and also Idk why he won't put a shell on! Help!!

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Put him in a Cup with 2 or 3 shells with some water and cover it and leave him alone
    this allway works for me.. Good luck

3. MoribundMaverick

Last night I covered teh tank with a towel so he'd have some peace and maybe put a shell on... this morning I woke up and he is all sprawled out on his side still naked. I think he died. Not quite ready to check... I wanna eat my breakfast first, because I know once I smell the dead crab smell I won't be able to eat for a while. :(

4. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

oh .... Im sorry

5. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Is there an update?

How's he doing?

6. MoribundMaverick

Definately dead... I have no clue what went wrong!! I took care of the crabs just how I was supposed to, didn't over croud them, they had enough sand, plenty of hidey spaces, tons of salt and fresh water, all sorts of food, humidity and temp was consistant and perfect, plenty of shells... I just don't understand why he went naked and died!!! :(:(:(

7. HatterasCrabs

HatterasCrabs "Never Molted"

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.