1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naked crab dug up during deep clean! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Crabmier, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Trying my best not to freak out. I was doing a deep clean which I hate doing... always fearing I will dig up a molter. Well, all crabs up and accounted for, I moved them into the 20 gal. About a month ago I had lost Dooley, thinking him passing away. He was missing, his shell found, and no crab. I feared he was the victim of a shell fight, they all get loads of protein in their diet, so hopefully cannibalism will not occur. Anyway, I was almost finished digging out all the dirt and dug up a naked crab, limbs all around, and yes, he was moving! what do I do? Help please. Also, I found what looks like little mites in the EE, hence the deep clean going on. Should I move him, leave him? If I should move him, how? I'm beginning to freak!!!!!

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

put you crab in a cup with a little water and a shell, cover it and let him be for about an hour, then check on him.
    if hes not in a shell , keep him in iso With lot of shells to choose from.

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Yeah, I agree. Keep him in the best conditions you can and offer him his original shell along with any others that are about his size and shape. Keep him apart from the other crabs and feed him lots of protein, calcium, fruits, and veggies. I'd recommend you just immediately put him in the ISO with the shells and skip the glass thing as he'll need time alone even if he does re-shell.

4. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

thanks for the responses guys! should I cover him with EE? Leave him out?

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I agree. Don't cover him with EE because when they dig they make special caves. He could dig by himself if he wants. And if you have any new eco earth or sand you should use that so it's bug-free. But don't worry, because a lot of hermit crabs molt naked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.