1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Wal-mart Saga..getting better

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by HermieFan, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Well, I went into my Wal-mart again today to check on the little hermies. Bad news, 2 dead, out of their shells. Why would they be out of their shells? Did someone drag them out for a shell? The conditions were bad again and I'd had it. I went a found the store Asst. Manager. I asked him for assistance in the pet department he said he would do what he could, no one was in the department. I told him what I really wanted was a chance to educate him on hermit crabs. He said great, I'd love to know more. We walked to the tank and I showed him the two dead guys. Told him that because there was no adequate water source for them they died. Educated him on how hermies breath through gills and depriving them of humidity and water lead to a slow death of blisted gills. He was shocked. I took him over to the dog isle and picked out a small double dish probably for cats. I suggested that he fill it half full of gravel so the little guys couldn't drown, and fill one side with fresh and one side with salt water. I pulled the Doc Wellfish salt off the shelf, showed him the mixing directions for brine shrimp and told him it was important to keep on hand daily. Told him to open another package of gravel and fill it to the top of the cat dish so that all hermies could walk right in. Then I grabbed an aquarium ornament, big fallen log hiding place with lots of climbing area. Told him how important it was to have a place to hide. I also advised that he cover the tank lid with saran wrap and punch air holes. This would keep his humity level up. I showed him where they keep their hermit crab instructions and asked if I could place a label with this website on each of them. He said Yes and he would do it. I offered to improve the whole tank for him, but he said he would personally do it today. I told him I have been coming in looking for someone in the dept for several days now and I would be back and couldn't wait to see the new improved condidtions. I have a good feeling about this. He said the hermit crabs were good sellers. I told him that the conditions the customer sees in the tank when the buy the crabs would probably be how they keep their hermies at home. He said he never thought about that and he agreed.
    Whew! I feel so much better now!
    Thanks for listening!
    Jodie

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Jodie,
    I agree 100% that what a customer sees in the store is what they interpret to be the correct set up if they are not educated about the proper care beforehand. I'm glad you were able to get your message through! You Go!

Thank you also for putting stickers on the care sheets with our site address. It does wonders for my heart to hear these stories about everyone taking the time and effort to educate instead of channeling negative energy into being angry and reading the stores the riot act. I do understand, though, how frustrating and upsetting it is to see those crabs suffering but using a positive, proactive approach is bound to be more effective in the long run.

3. Flower

Flower Hi, I'm New Here!

You did a wonderful job and achieved an amazing feat in my eyes. It seems that because of the hermit crab community, some companies are taking better care of their crablings. There is a still a lot of educating to be done, but we have a good start.
    I recently had a bad run in with a store in town. I have not yet approached this situation, but I have every intention after I calm down. Here is that story.

http://landhermitcrabs.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/365100321/m/343101803

4. hermit_crabs_rule

hermit_crabs_rule "Never Molted"

great job*claps*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.