1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My upgraded Crabitat

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by HermitDude, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitDude

HermitDude "Never Molted"

Ok i upgraded my tank to a 20 gallon long... I have calcium sand and playsand as the substrate in the corner is a cave made from slate and there is a hermie hut 2 big pieces of choya wood. and a fake plant for them.

i have 5 Purple Pinchers and 3 E's in the tank most of them are the size of a dime. but in the pics are just the foods i found in my closet that i cleaned today (which wasnt fun) but i found all my hermit crab stuff so it was good but yah here are some pics..all of the pps are in painted shells except one they dont seem to want to change....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HermitDude

And also one of the crabs i got one of the pps is missing the top part of its feeding claw and idt that it can eat but im not sure i feeeeellll really bad for it and is there anythign that i can do for it? i feel bad but im sure its better off with me than the pet boardwalk

3. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

wow! ur tank looks really nice! the crab with part of it's claw gone should be able to eat fine. i had a crab with only one claw once and he didn't have any trouble eating.

4. HermitDude

So u think they like it lol......

5. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Hey the tank is lookin niiiice , wow cpl of them in some pretty bright shells lol i actually like the colour but i know what you mean about them not wanting to change altho my herms are swapping shells like mad lately theres 1 my biggest fella that i got some lovley shells for but he is having none of it not 1 single shell swap ....yet !

6. Jason

Jason Moderator

I had a similar problem getting my largest crabs to "upgrade" their shells. While it was obvious to me that it was time to move to a larger shell, they never seemed to like the shells I could offer. I tried a couple sets of larger shells, but no luck. Finally I tried a set I thought were the same size, and wouldn't you know it, two crabs switched shell by the next morning. You just have to find the right shells, and they will make the switch. Of course that seems like an impossible task some days.

Jason

7. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

thanks Jason , ive seriously got so many what i think to be suitable shells that i cant put them all in the tank ,
    Im lucky because i live on the coast and i went to a place called southend which is bout 9 miles from me and the shops there were just packed with all sorts of shells shapes n sizes .
    Will just have to perservere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.