1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My tat...

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by chermo, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinjessie

chinjessie Hi, I'm New Here!

hi there :) i understand putting a gauge to watch temperature and humidity is important. But I dont have any one of em yet, that's why i always mist the coconut fibre and my hermies 2-3times a day so that they will not be suffocated at the end of day. Some ppl claimed they have hermie age 20++ and the key to their life-long is to provide proper thickness of moistured substrate for them to dig or cover themselves especially during their pre-molt in their crabitat. ;)

2. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

You need to get a temp/humidity gauge, you can't rely on misting them for the humidity as they don't like to be misted directly. The temp is very important too. I suggest getting a temp/humidity gauge as soon as you can get to the store. Walmart sells them for $6.47 in IL and some other states in the US but just make sure if you don't get a reptile one that is says on the package that it measures relative humidity. The reptile ones run a little higher and they do measure relative humidity. Then if you have a plastic tank get a glass one and a lid, my tank has changed over the past 6 months of crabbing and now I use a lid that is called foam insulation board from the insulation dept at my local hardware store. It was a damaged piece so I was able to get it for $3 and I was able to cut off the corner that was damaged but I also made 4 lids out of it so it was worth the $3 I paid for the 4' x 8' piece. You will also need a heat source, I recommend heat bulbs, a day glo and a night glo will cost about $12 for both and then the lamp I use was from the hardware store and both for $11.

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I;t cool but you may want more sand from what I saw?:confused:

4. chermo

Trust me there is plenty of sand, I have it at different levels in the tank. The highest part of the sand is 6" and my largest crab really only needs 3" of sand. I have a 1" section where I put the food and water but the rest is 4", 5" and 6".

5. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Hi guys I absolutely love all of your tanks..Could you guys maybe give me a good website where the prices are decent for crabitats? Thanks ^.^

6. chermo

What are you exactly looking for? I don't buy online unless it is for shells. I get everything from Walmart, Dollar Store and Petsmart/petco. If you are looking for a tank then craigslist.com is a great place to find used cheap fish tanks.

7. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

thx much ^.^ i was looking for about a 10 -- 20 g tank for my crabbies plus im trying to get ideas on how to exactly make new levels for my crabitat

8. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

I really like your second level. Very natural looking :cool:

9. chermo

Well here it is again, I got a new stick/tree thing from Walmart for $11 and it was too big for the tank so I had to tip it a bit and push the sand up to it so it stayed. I really wanted this for a long time and since I had to give up the mopani wood a while back I decided today was the day to get this. It is for a fish tank.

Attached Files:

10. cococrisp

Wow that looks great. All those nice plants and stuff. Lucky crabs!:) I'm not such a great designer.

11. cococrisp

I have a jumbo so I guess I'm always looking for more sand. Sand Sand Sand. I'm always putting more sand in there.

12. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Chermo, your tank looks awesome! It's come a long way, I love how cozy it feels. :)

13. chermo

Thanks everyone, I really enjoy decorating the tat but when they are down it makes it hard so I found them all up finally so decided it was time. They love the new climbing tree thing, they were climbing it all night and I kept hearing them fall off of it too. It was funny to watch them.

14. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I like looking at thrift stores and garage sales. You do have to be careful, consider carefully what you're buying. Like I wouldn't purchase coral at a garage sale, you have no idea where it's been or what it's been exposed to.
    I buy the important stuff brand new, like my thermostats and bulbs, coral, cork bark, other woods.
    Ebay is a good place to find equipment, I found my first thermostat for only $16 on Ebay and retail they are $30. I buy most of my shells off ebay as well, from sellers like Glassreign: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Beech-Speci ... mit=Search
    Or Mikestert:eBay Store - Saltwater Cove: Hermit Crab Shells sm-lg, Hermit Crab Shells lg-xxlg, Seashells

and The Shell Gal: eBay Store - the shell gal store: Category 2, Category 3, Category 1

They all combine shipping costs, so if you order several different shell batches, you save a lot, not to mention their shipping is very reasonable anyway.

15. chermo

I had to get Puppy a new hiding hut since his shell was so big he had a hard time fitting in the old ones I had without digging down. Check out what I got Puppy to hide in, all 6 of them fit in it with room for more. It was $8 at petsmart but I really like that they can climb the outside also....

The first picture is the left side of the tank, the middle one is the middle of the tank with the new hiding hut and the last one is the right side of the tank. I love buying new things but next will have to be a bigger tank since I had a hard time figuring out how to even do this. I am thinking a 40B which I saw for $99 at petco, Is that a good price??????

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.