1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My tat is so BORING!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by daddybo, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddybo

daddybo Hi, I'm New Here!

I need some help. I have 29g tat that's been up and running for a couple of months now (I'm new to crabbing!). I have 3 crabbies in there (planning on adding one or two more) but it is SO boring! I have a large piece of driftwood and a piece of sea rock for them to climb on. I have a food dish, a water dish, and a "pool" for them in there, too. My substrate is calci-sand -- white. I tried to post a pic, but it was too big. If anyone wants to see a pic and knows how to "shrink" the pic, let me know!

I have a Hemp Net, Ladder, and Corner Net on order from Vicki, other than that, I don't know what else to do in there! Suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

:confused:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Look at other peoples tanks and steal ideas........look in my sig link go to my SUB album Tank set ups and look away! You dont have to be cluttered. Balanced is good....they do need room to just walk around. I keep the permiter of the tank free so they can do laps! :)

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Here take a look at my 10 gallon, it is hard to do stuff to a 10 gallon, I wish I had a 20 gallon ( I am hoping to get one soon).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last one is what I had before the top 2. I loved both and it was fun for them to climb the hills, besides I didn't want them to bury under the water dishes so I decided to make a low end on both set ups. I will more than likely do more hills in the bigger tank when and if I ever get one.

I wanted to add too that you can sign up for free at image shack and upload your pictures to it and link them to here so that you can post without resizing your pictures. Most digital cameras come with a software so you can edit them and resize them but some don't so you will need an editing software (I use microsoft office picture manager). But just do the image shack and it may take some time to figure out but it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. www.imageshack.us

4. daddybo

daddybo Hi, I'm New Here!

Here's a pic of my tat as it is now (except I have a hood with a light attached to it)

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. chermo

It is not so boring, get rid of the calci sand and get some play sand from home depot a 50 lb bag is $4.00, wet it to sand castle consistancy so they can dig and molt or just dig to play. Add some plants, I got my 3 small ones from walmart that were under $2.00 each. Your local dollar store will be your best friend too. I use soap dishes for my 2nd level and they love them. I use a doilie for them to climb up to the 2nd level and I attached them with zip ties from my husbands tool box. Make sure all the plants you have are metal free. I got my long pieces of vines from petco for $3 each and I bought 2 of them. I cut the metal off of them and attached them to my soap dishes. You can see everything in the pictures I attached. With a little work your tank can be perfect. Oh and move the temp/humidity gauge down to the middle of the tank in the middle. It needs to be closer to the substrate where they spend most of their time.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can also check dollar stores and craft stores for plants. I get mine at Michaels and they are perfect to use. Ebay also has good deals.

A little at a time and it will get to how you want it. Everytime I deep clean the tank I change mine out.

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

After a while you'll become an old pro at "crabitat interior decorating".:D
    I changed mine again after "staring" at it until my eyes crossed. LOL
    Look at the photo galleries for some great hints and insights. It'll all come together. It's like Vicki said "a little here a little there"---tweak this, tweak that, and before long you'll have a four-star set-up.:)
    (of course if you're like me, I want it all NOW) heeheehee

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I laugh at what mine used to look like compared to now.........its so fun to learn and grow

you just need some greens and maybe a background (fishie kind for tanks) they have such nice ones now!! (non fish designs)

9. chermo

My petsmart has a great background that is tropical trees and stuff like on the beaches of florida, it is great and I want one but I have a UTH on the side but when I get my bigger tank I will be adding that back ground. I can't wait.

10. chermo

By the way this is my tank in July when I first started, this is not the whole picture but it is close and you can see how boring it was. I have come a long way with it now though and it is only October.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.