1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My tank is ready

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by kikee, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

Here are some photos of my tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would be great if you guys could let me know what you think.

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

It looks really good! Nice deep substrate, gauges, nice deep fresh water dish - is one of those your ocean salt water dish? It's hard to tell, the pictures are rather small :(

You may want to move that cord away from the climbing thing in the corner (cork board or something?) and maybe tape it down with some clear packaging tape to keep your little guys from climbing it to the top of the tank. :)

You also may want to move the thermometer/hygrometer a little closer to the substrate near the center of the tank, where your crabs will spend most of their time.

I think you've done a great job getting it set up! What type of lid will it have, and do you have a heating source (or need one?) :)

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It looks cool Kikee---like an oasis. :) I hve one of those fiber mats you have in the corner. I wondered about the humidity un-sticking it from the glass, so I haven't used it yet. I would make the tweaks that Crabbyjo mentioned, other than that de crabbies should be thrilled! :)

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

it looks very nice and your gauge is fine - I like to have several myself to get all different readings - what kind of tank is that (shape is neat)? Some nets on the back would be fun for them - what kind of top are you going to use?
    What is the cord for? If electrical they will pinch it.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow that looks great. How many gallons is it? Does it have a lid? Did you just take it off for the picture? How many crabs do you have?

6. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

you need a lid and saltwater and thats it! great! oh so i am doing this 300 point asia project and we could choose from south korea, japan, china, india, thailand, saudia arabia,isreail and AUSTRALIA! i wish i got australia i was hoping i culd get some pics from you but i got last choice because it was a randm thing so i had to pick south korea.....uggh

7. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

It has a large salt water dish (you cant really see it in the photos)
    But if you look at the 2nd photo its in the bottom right hand side.
    The cord is from a heat rock (im going to tape it down) that I got from a friend. Im also on the hunt for a small heat mat.
    The tank has a glass lid (which I took off to take the photos so the flash didnt bounce off it).
    With the shells, the flate one is for food and the round (deep) one is water..
    I wanted the subtarate to be nice and deep, so I used the whole bag :)
    Thanks for all your replys guys and all your help.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have a big concern with heat rocks in that they can potentially burn your crabs, especially if they burrow down for a molt underneath it. It could become too hot and kill the crab. Also as Hermez mentioned, they could pinch the cord hard enough with their claw that could lead to disaster. Just a little something to think about.:)

9. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Kikee, sorry but the heat rock, like Mckenney says, can be disastrous for your little crabs. I have read more than one story of a crab who sat on the rock and it heated up so much they baked on it, not realizing they should get off. They have been known to kill reptiles as well, by overheating and sometimes even catching fire.
    Did you ask about this in another thread, or was that someone else? I remember answering this just recently too. I'm getting so confused!

As for cords, since those little guys can pinch them, if you have to have a cord you can just put clear packing tape over it, taping it to the glass. You have to make sure the glass is very clean and dry though so it doesn't peel up. :)
    I have a cord on my temp gauge that is taped down, and I also taped my thermostat cord to the floor of the tank so the little critters wouldn't dislodge the probe for it. :)

10. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

Ummm... I can't see any pictures. Gotta link?

11. cococrisp

Yeah. That's my problem. Whenever I try to take a pic of a crab down molting next to the glass.

12. cococrisp

Yes clover, I did an explorer project and I was picked dead last so I got some jerk that did not even find anything.:mad: And I had to dress up and speak in front of the whole class and I did not even know what he looked like so it was a huge big stupid mess and all I did was color this random beard with a marker and after I found out he didn't have a beard... So that was sort of... Yeah awful. I happen to hate old explorers. I should have chosen myself and talked about how I explored my backyard. And what amazing nothings I found and all the new species of things that did not exist. And the interesting specimens of dust... And the grain of bird seed.
    I would have probably gotten a bad grade but I can talk about that more than a guy who has been dead for thousands of years.:p

13. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

well Sydney who just got an account like a week ago is my partner! but we got last choice of country

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.