1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Tank & Hermies

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by Pharmoc, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

2. hermiesRcool

hermiesRcool Hi, I'm New Here!

oh awesome! The first pic has a real cool angle to it! lol [​IMG] Your crabbies are lookin' good!

3. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

cool I have have a Question................ what is the grassy looking stuff?
    [​IMG]

4. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Hey , thats moss that i picked up from my garden centre its all natural stuff but maybe im thinkin the moss over here is pretty different to maybe the us coz i know the grass is reallyy differnt they love it i put it in and they dig about in it and its pretty moist too so it helps with humidity i get a huge bag for £2 and i can just soak it again and ring it out it last for quite a while

5. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

What cute crabs. I love your trapeze, too. Do the crabs ever climb on that?

I have been wanting to try some moss -- hopefully I'll be getting some too. I plan to make a "moss pit" in one corner of the tank ... if my crabs will ever quit molting where I want to put it!

6. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

That's a beautiful set up. I love your big guy in the second picture! Very photogenic crab. [​IMG]

7. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Had a little tinker with the tank as it was really starting to smell think it was the earth i was using it was eco earth but for some reason soemthing wasnt quite right about it , ive got the humidity and everything perfect so will just have to keep tinkering .

I took all earth out and just had the coral sand in there at the moment but the end where the food bowl's are is where i shall be replacing the earth with maybe a soft sand and peat mix .
    Theres just a light sand sheet on there at the moment as the bottom of the tank is solid wood and when i mist i dont want it to get too wet i have a large perpex sheet to go at the bottom to protect it , when i get round to putting it in .
    So just a little change of furniture at the moment they dont seem to mind i got soem lovley new fresh plants to goin too im gettin sick of plastic ones and i really dont like them but the hermies seem to like hiding in them .
    I was considering having a large moss pit area rather than the sand or might go 50/50 have a wait n see.

Hope you enjoy the pics x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. crazeecrabber103

I noticed that Eco Earth has a very, well, earthy smell, but it's not very offensive. Was the smell really bad? It could've been rotting food.
    I'm not sure about using peat, but the sand by itself would work out great.
    I'd be careful with using real plants. It's a lot of maintenance and whatnot. What kind are they? I think real bamboo (not lucky bamboo) and mangroves are the best plants to put in your crab tank but I did hear about one crabber putting petunias in her crabitat and don't think it caused any problems.
    A moss pit is a good idea, but most crabs prefer to dig and molt in sand, so I wouldn't go half and half-I think it's just too much moss.
    Can't wait to see what your tat looks like after the final touch-ups.[​IMG]

9. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took your advice and just went with the sand , im all out of moss at the mo but will sprinkle a little bit randomly about when i get some as they seem to like it . what you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also few pics of my crab's larking about .

10. crazeecrabber103

It looks great.[​IMG] I'm sure they'll love the random piles of moss to play in and nibble on.[​IMG]
    I'm looking at that big tan and white muffin shell and I'm thinking that the big guy that can fit in that shell is going to need another two or three inches of substrate, at least. If you have any playsand left, I'd go ahead and use the rest of it.

Is the crab in your third picture the one who just molted and lost his shine? Because if he is, he's looking better!

11. crazeecrabber103

Oh, and another thing; what kind of gauges are you using?

12. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

i have a zoo med humidity and temperature guage tucked away in the top left hand corner , also got some silly sticky temperature one just so i can keep an eye on it when im in bed.

Funny how the humidity guages are like three times the price of the temperature ones grr.
    The ones i got are joined together .

13. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Yeah that muffin shell is for him but i think it may be a little too big i got plenty of sand left so will put the rest in .
    He is my moulter and i think he's egttin his shine back bit by bit !

14. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Just some new pics i took today , ive now put the waterfall in and decorated the tank a little with some plastic flower which i cut and put together lol i was bored at the time and having a great time ifdling about with the crabitat ive only got 2 crabs up top im missing the others i moved the water dish to clean it and found one of the crabs den's theres a pic of it below he looks all snug in there but i wish they would all get a move on .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He knew he was being photographed he is such a poser !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posing again !

[​IMG]

16. crazeecrabber103

I love looking at pics of your little family. They're all really cute. [​IMG]
    Those flowers are nice--add a tropical touch to the tank.

I've only got one crab up right now, so I'm pretty bored, and worried about my buried crabbies. I hope yours come up soon!

17. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Great pics! [​IMG]

18. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]

3 new herm's i just picked up quite the variety in size they were the only crabs left so i took pity and bought the lot of them .
    Im also waiting on a phone call fella at the shop is gonna see if he can get hold of any e's for me so fingers crossed.

Oh on another note my 2nd biggest crab has now buried himself so i have 4 down now my big fella is the only 1 up top lol he's pigging out on grapes and plums which he cant seem to get enough of latley !

19. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

Pharmoc - after seeing your pics, you have plenty to be proud of! And as for the feller under the water dish - he won the draw. Mine will scrabble for hunkering rights, knowing they've always got access to water! I've had to refill it sometimes 3 times a night, as they will dump it over in their scramble, but resolved that problem by putting water dishes on tank bottom, surrounded by Hagen beach sand; a little bit coarser than play sand, and besides discouraging burrowing, keeps water dishes much cleaner with no sand tracking (or being kicked!) in.
    As for your "pity purchases" - I'm jealous! They certainly look good to me, and wish them all the best.
    Well, 5 more jumbos to be intro'd into 30-gal. tank tonight, so wish me/us luck!
    Re. treats...can you get either Ocean Spray Craisins (dehydrated cranberries) or frozen cranberries at your grocery store? They are the favourite of all my hermies, and in particular with my PPer's, definately enhances their colour. Another favourite is purple dulse, if you can get it.
    Keep us posted! Love pics.
    hermom

20. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

heres a cpl pics of some tropical crabs i bought at the same time , the picture quality isnt great and if you look carefully you can see the reflection of my legs lol i was wearing myrather dashign pyjamas.
    They seem to be doing really well and ive been feeding them tiny pieces of meat and there doing great on that the fish dont seem to mind them either they all get along well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.