1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My own RPG system (DnD 4th Edition just dosent do it for me)

Discussion in 'Game House' started by MAD, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well, I still feel like its missing something...

I am just going to use my own system from now on
    (Granted, I have been doing this anyway, It has its bugs, but I am on the verge of perfecting it.)

I use a 12 statistic system, organized into 3 groups of 4:

Physical: Strength, Agility, Endurance, and Appearance
    Mental: Intelligence, Wisdom, Willpower, and Communication
    Spiritual: Faith, Drive, Aura, and Luck

(A stat of 0 is average, meaning no modifier to any check that involves that statistic)

Stat points are not decided randomly. Everyone has the same budget to work with.

Skill points are alloted as to these abilities, they are not just dependent on intelligence.

Character classes DO NOT EXIST. Instead, players develop a set of skills for thier characters, and then just call them whatever. All of the skills and stats add up to a modifier for effectively all actions.

The dice used are d10, d100, and a d 1,000 (Which is just 3d10) most of which are used for contested rolls. Combat as such is rolled against a chart, with various modifiers. (The beauty of this system is that one roll tells you if you hit or missed your target, where you hit your target, (120 possible locations) how badly you hurt your target or your targets armor or the weapon he used to block, as well if your weapon was harmed in making the attack.

The only bad thing about this system is that it requires me to have my laptop at the table, since everthing is rolled against a database of info I have been working on. Beforehand I just made a series of charts that the players rolled against. This provided a wealth of detail relatively quickly. It also made for a little more variety and depth.

I keep magic open and flowing, there are no real pre-set spells to speak of. What you have are a series of effects you can add, alter its power level or power base, then roll against your abilities to see if it works, if you accumulate fatigue, if you turn yourself into a frog by mistake for trying to work something beyond you, ect ect....

(The most bizzare thing I ever had happen to a player was that he attempted to make him and his party time travel. He was largely successful, only that he didnt take the first 3 dimensions into account. The planet was not in the exact same place at that particular time, and so they were all floating in space gasping for breath. I had them all wake up as if from a bad nightmare, after which they all advised him not to attempt anything)

eh, who knows, lol....

2. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

Re: Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

But i cant use my shard dice in that system. This sucks they were expensive, and you cant get them any more.

3. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Re: Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

Actually you can, thats where secondary rolls come in. (I had a player who absolutely LOVED his d12s, and felt they were always neglected. Thats why I chose the number 120 and 1,200 for most of my charts, Most of the regular polyhedral dice work with multiples of 12. (IE 120/4=30, 120/6=20, 120/8=15, 120/10=12, 120/12=10, 120/20=10) It slows things down a bit, but players have that option. The only problem is my oddball d14, cant be used =(

I have some shard dice to. The 20 is kinda ungainly but they round out my collection

Well, my shards are a bit limited, I only have d8s d10s and a d20
    [img width=500 height=374]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ArchmasterZeta/P1010139.jpg[/img]

My other oddball dice: (A d5, a d14, a d16, a d24, and the infamous Zoch d100)
    [img width=500 height=374]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ArchmasterZeta/P1010140-1.jpg[/img]

I invented a few charts for these, but the Zocchehedron is more a less a pain in the $#@

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.