1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my old crabs are dying!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Guest, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

I bought some new crabs at the pet store, now my crabs are all dying!! 2 disappeared, not in substrate molting, one is missing all his legs and claws, I have to hand feed him, now my biggest baby is dead! He was very lethargic, I thought he was molting, but he started streaking and I spent alot of time putting him back into his shells, I bought him a bigger one, thinking that was the problem, but this morning he was dead. I just bought 6 new ones from another place and want to keep them alive, but am scared this is something contageous! HELP!!

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I would suggest isolating all new crabs prior to introducing them to the established colony for a period of at least 4 weeks. This will lessen the chances of them passing on a potentially harmful pathogen to your old crew. During the first month after a purchase, it is also a good idea to have a "hands-off" policy for new crabs as well. Allowing them sufficient time to destress from the rigors of harvesting and shipping will tip the scales in their favor for longer survival in captivity.

3. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Thanks, I'll try the hands-off approach, although I may have to handcuff my daughter, she adores them. I just don't want a tank of dead crabbies, I also think I may have been keeping them too humid, the sand was always wet, I am trying the better approach and keeping the humidity stable now. Here's hopin, I am getting attached to these little guys.

4. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

I’m having the same problem I got 6 new crabbies they were in my large ISO for 3 weeks and my crabs I all Really had are dieing I had 4 but now I have only 2 older ones left and now well Mimi is not doing so well I not sure if she is just molting or dieing she is in my ISO tank. I did had a bullying problem but now every thing has cooled down. But not Mini she is in a really bad way I feel really bad because I have lost 2 crabbies all ready in 4 weeks.

5. kuplakrabs

The very sad truth of it all is that the crabs suffer so much stress through harvesting and shipping that many just will not make it no matter how great your conditions are. A lot of the time the degree of damage is irreversible, and you lose crabs.

When I first started crabbing, I bought nearly 30 crabs within one month. I realized that a good percentage of them would not make it and was prepared that I would find some dead in the course of the next month. When you are only buying 2 or 3, the odds of losing them are greater because you start with fewer.

6. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

Umm,I dont have any crabs yet,but I was planning on starting out with 3.I only have a 10 gallon tank,but do you think it would be a good idea for me to get a few more(say,5 or 6 total)?

7. kuplakrabs

Not necessarily, you might just find the 3 healthiest crabs around. I still have all but one of my original Compressus! I guess it depends on how determined you are to keep hermies and how much you want to spend. Maybe just try it with 3 and if you are incredibly hooked (which will most likely be the case LOL) go back and get a few more. With a 10g, you want to be careful not to overcrowd. Since it really isn't so big once you start adding extra shells, climbing apparatus, dishes, hidey huts, etc... If they are tiny (nickel sized), I would think 6 would be just fine in there.

8. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

Thanks for your help Wendy. [​IMG]

I decided to start off with 4 hermies instead of 3.I'm going to look around for nickel to silver dollar sized ones.I've also been stocking up on shells so I'm ready for just about any size or species. [​IMG] I have to wait a little longer than I expected to get my hermit crabs though, so I'm kinda bummed. [​IMG] I was going to get them the day after I came back from camp(25th),but my dad's going to be in Argentina,so I have to wait until Sept. 3rd or 4th.I guess I'll just have to keep researching nonstop until I get them! haha [​IMG]

9. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

I had my original 2 a year before I lost them. since then I have lost 3 more, but they were bought at a pet store and the rest in that tank were dead, should have known then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.