1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new crab is sick

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Savannah-02, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Savannah-02

Savannah-02 Hi, I'm New Here!

I just bought a new crab and I'm noticing that it's not eating and sometimes sits in one location for days. I don't know what I did wrong because when I was at the store is was perfectly fine and as soon as I got it home things changed.

Cany anyone help?

2. Daniel

Daniel Hi, I'm New Here!

I believe your crab has what is referred to as Post Purchase Syndrome (PPS), what you described are some of the symptoms included in the PPS.
    PPS is what many newly purchased crabs suffer, from health problems and even death, most of it is due to the huge journey they went through to get to the store and finally to the owners tanks.
    The threat of PPS is over once the hermit crab molts successfully for the first time.

Make sure you're offering as much healthy food as possible so it can gain the energy it needs to heal. Here are some of the great food for this:
    Honey
    Bee Pollen
    Peanut Butter
    Fresh Coconut
    Fresh Apples and Pears
    Shrimp
    Crickets
    Mineral Supplements or Cuttlebone.