1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my new 75 gallon 'tat

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by Mckenny, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Thank you! I didn't see moss on the safe food list. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Do you put moss right on top of the bedding? So far it seems really tight and suction cups probably wouldn't even fit. Are there other ways to secure something that's already really tight?

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have corner shower caddies that I put my moss in for moss pits. The only time I've put the moss on the bedding (substrate) was in my old tank. I put a small section on the substrate and then placed some of my shells on there. It helped a little by keeping the substrate out of the shells when the crabbies would try them on.

Just keep an eye on your basket for a while to make sure it won't tip over. You may not need anything if it's pretty tight. :)

3. jeckles

jeckles Hi, I'm New Here!

Beautiful tank Mckenny :) Looks nice & roomy, and the flowers look gorgeous! Its always nice to see happy spoilt hermies!

4. Laughs O Lot

It didn't tip over at all, but nobody is climbing up to it to check it out! What should i do to make them want to come?

5. Mckenny

Thanks Jeckles...spoiled is right!! hahaha

What kind of thing do you have for them to climb up on Laughs O Lot? Can they get to the basket easily from it---is it sturdy for them to climb on? Do you have anything in the basket or is it empty? Give us a description and maybe we can help you out. :)

6. Laughs O Lot

The basket is sturdy. I actually put them on it, but they only climbed around it and then back down not up and in it. It has nothing in it except for some dried fruit, which they absolutely love to munch on. I have cork bark for them to climb up it and this cholla wood thing with a fake plant in it. It's supposed to be for guinea pigs, and it's these three round pieces with holes in them at the side and a hole in the middle, like a donut. I piled them on top of each other and put the fake plant through the middle hole. It looks weird. Thanks!

7. Mckenny

In my second level things I put moss in there. It's a little something different than their substrate and they love it. When I do my weekly maintenance I fluff up the moss and make sure everything is alright in there. There were seven crabs in there snoozing, so I covered them back up and they went back to sleep. I use the moss from Walmart called "Naturals floral moss" in the artificial flower section. It is a small bag but it goes a long way and costs less than two dollars. Also make sure they can climb up and back down again without slipping and sliding and falling. Even a plant could be used upside down from the basket to the substrate, or wrapped around things that are too smooth to get a grip.
    Just a couple of thoughts...:)

8. Laughs O Lot

Thanks! That moss sounds really cool! I feel like laying in it right now...

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have a lot of moss just on w=one side of my tank and my crabs just love to hang out on it.:D It's all moist so they hide there during the day. With the moss they have a higher humidity level in the moss and therefore can adjust to where they like I would assume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.