1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my new 75 gallon 'tat

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by Mckenny, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

2. Mckenny

peekin'

[​IMG]

3. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

McKenny,
    what a great setup! I love it! I'm looking for a free or near free larger tank - don't tell my husband. :D I already feel like the 55 gallon is too small lol.
    I love all your space!
    And an adorable pic of your crab hehe :) Thanks for sharing, you're giving me all kinds of ideas.

4. Mckenny

Thanks Crabbyjo:)
    This 75 gallon doesn't take up hardly any more space than the 55 gallon. The only difference is the width size. Instead of 13", it's 18" wide, and wow what a difference it makes. I would never have believed it except Hermez had mentioned it. My 75g tank measures 48x21x18. I got it off of Craigs list on the East Coast. I don't know if you have that up where you are or not. But beware, take a tape measure when you go because I had two people try to sell me 55 gallons, and another the tank was sooo scratched up and cloudy it wasn't funny! (he said on the phone it was in great shape) It didn't come with a hood, so I had to buy a glass one for it---do some shopping on that too, prices really vary.
    If you have a 55 now, you'll LOVE the 18" wide 75! :):)

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That looks AMAZING!!! The plants make it look so beautiful! I love all the climbing things! Are the plants real or fake? What kind are they? Also, what kind of basket did you use? I love it!!!

6. Mckenny

Thanks Laughs O Lot... :) the plants are fake and I got them at a place called Michaels. They were having a sale about a month ago and they were only 88 cents a bunch. The basket is from Walmart in the floral section, but not all Walmarts have them. I was three hours away from home and just happened to stop at that Walmart and there they were. It's woven and looks crabbie friendly so I got it and attached it to my corner shower caddies with zip ties. I goofed when I put up the front corner caddy and put it un-even, but de crabbies haven't complained yet. :D
    The silver background is from the emergency blanket I had on my other tank this winter. I have a built in the wall air conditioner that cools the whole house in the same room as the crabs, so I'm hoping it will keep out the cold and keep in the heat of the tank. If not, they may have to build little bon fires with their choya wood to stay warm. :D:D

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Emergency blanket - good idea! I may use that idea next winter if I have issues keeping the tanks warm enough without adding even more heat lamps. :)

I do have a 55 now, so I'd recognize that right off. I got my 55 off Craigslist for only $40, so I got a real steal. The only thing wrong with it was a slight melted part on the plastic frame on top (affects absolutely nothing) and the plastic crossbar was snapped in half (also affects nothing since I have a mesh lid lol).

I won't be getting a glass lid at the prices they charge here, so plexi will work for me! :) Right now I have the cardboard wrapped in plastic and it's working great so far.

Thanks for sharing! I want a basket like that too, Ill have to go looking!

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

as freddie prince would say "LOOKING GOOD" it was Freddy wasnt it??

9. Mckenny

Careful my dear...everyone might figure out you belong in the 40-110 year old category in that poll! :D

(of course I'm starting my 2nd childhood so I don't count) chucklechuckle

10. Laughs O Lot

I have a basket at home that my hermit crabs love to climb and play in, but I'm not sure if it is safe to put in the tank. I'm scared they might want to nibble on it. How can you tell if it is hermie-safe?

11. Mckenny

Do you know what it is made of? Mine is called a seagrass woven basket.

12. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow mkcenny. It's awesome. I'm looking at getting some more fake plants. Now I hat a random pink flower sticking up in the middle of the tank. It looks really odd. Are you already thinking it's too small? I thought mine was too small the day I go it. I'll still probably think that if I get a tank bigger than HERMEZ's. That would be huge though.

13. Mckenny

Thanks Cococrisp...I thought about a 90 gallon, but I would have had to move my furniture out into the back yard to make room......nah...I like sitting on cushions so I went with the 75 gallon. :D

14. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

my head is spinning! should i buy the 30 gallon longer or 29 gallon taller (bow fron) both $70!its 1 gallon difference. what do i do?!?!?!?! by the way i love the tat!

15. Mckenny

One of my considerations was how easy it would be for me to clean the tank as well as take care of daily cleanings and feedings, etc. Talls have less chance of escapes (as long as you don't put decorations too high near the top). Also how wide the tank is was another consideration of mine. The wider the better---it Does make a difference. What are the dimensions of each of the tanks?

It's a matter of personal preference. My tank is 21 inches tall, which allows me plenty of room to work in the tank and I have the top secured so the crabs can't escape. I don't have a typical tank stand because it sits a little lower which helps also. I know what you're going through...it took me a while to settle on a size. Good luck...:)

16. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Laughs, I agree, you can't really be sure if it's safe or not. Sometimes we take chances. I also worry about the chance of mold, so any basket I had would have to be in a spot where it won't get wet, unless it's hemp. I tried to look up hemp baskets, but all I could find were mega expensive fancy baskets! lol.
    I bet I could weave my own... now crabs are driving me to take up basket weaving!

17. Laughs O Lot

LOL! Weaving a basket would be fun! I should learn how to weave hemp nets first, though. So do you think I should put it in with suction cups or something if it fits?

18. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

You can tie it to things in your tat, or hook it on suction cups, totally up to you. I plan to tie a couple nets to my shower caddies when I buy and install them so the crabs can get up and across.

19. Laughs O Lot

Thanks! It turns out the basket is the perfect for a 10g! If you squeeze it in it fits by itself and you don't need suction cups or anything! I put it in for a half an hour and it didn't fall or anything. Is this safe? Also, nobody seems interested in climbing up to it. Cork bark and choya wood with a fake plant inside are underneath it so they can climb up but I'm not sure if this is enough. What other things can I put so they can climb it easily? Last, should I put coco-fiber in it?

20. Mckenny

I think moss isn't as messy and it gives them something different and they like to chew on it. Mine love it and they even sleep in it. (I keep it moistened) I use Naturals floral moss from Walmart in the artificial flower section. You can also use Hiawatha moss. I've gotten that from a place called Michaels. It isn't anywhere near as heavy as the coco fiber would be also.

You may want to secure your basket some way even though it's tight right now. Humidity can make things slide sometimes. Also the weight of your crabbies could cause it to tumble. They'll be out and about investigating it soon I'm sure. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.