1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my lil molted guy is outta his shell and im worried

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by chattykathy, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] i got home from honeymoon and the molted guy the one who was so sick , now is out of his shell complelty , and he looks kinda like (movie reference E.T.) when they found him all dried out and by the water , he IS still alive and moving very slowly , but he hasnt got in another shell. i have several around in tank, but im wondering what to do , should i place him back in ISO?? and how do i care for him while in this condition?? i dont wanna loose the lil guy , im just sick about this . please get back to me.

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Oh no...[​IMG] it doesn't sound too good for the little guy. I has been my experience that when a crab leaves its shell and is not healthy, he usually doesn't live for more than two weeks.

I would leave him alone completely and not handle/mist him at all. The only thing you can do now is to keep him comfortable. Keep the tank dark and pump up the humidity a bit by misting the sides of the tank. Try really hard not to keep checking on him. If he is in a tank with other crabs, I would suggest moving him to an ISO by gently scooping him up on a large serving spoon. Put plenty of shells in with him as well as both fresh and salt water dishes. Offer some organic honey for him to eat with a little cuttlebone sprinkled on top.

I'm so sorry to hear this news...I know he is near and dear to your heart. I hope you know that no matter what the outcome-the only chance he has ever had (since being harvested) was you.

3. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] [​IMG] dear wendy, he died yesterday right after i got offline i went to scoop him into the ISO , and he (omg this sounds like a movie but i swear was true) he wrapped one of his lil legs on to my finger . as if to say good bye, and he was gone. my heart is broke. i know i have done all i could for him , but it still feels horrible. my husband reminded me we still have 3 others that need me just as much, although they are healthy they still need me too. i just shared a bond with my lil buddy, that i dont think my husband can understand , we were both sick , and some how we got well together. i also feel maybe i tried to hard to care for him , and placed him with the others too soon. [​IMG] this hurts my heart so. okay i just wanted to let you know wendy, you seem as close to him as i got , ty for being such a great friend , and being here through this with me. hugs. kathy

4. lighteningbee

lighteningbee Hi, I'm New Here!

I am so sorry to hear you lost your little guy! I know you were really trying to help him! [​IMG] I hate to see anything die. Keep happy thoughts though... you made his last days happy!

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

[​IMG] I am so very sorry Kathy.
    ...the first hermie is very hard to lose. These little guys can tug at your heart strings and you get attached to them quickly-especially the little sick ones that you really want to help.

The sad truth is that if he was already sick when you got him, the chances were pretty slim that he would recover. Often the damage that has been done to them from the time they are harvested is unreversible. Please look inside your heart and know that he was very fortunate to have come home with you. You gave him something he would never have had at the pet store-a comfortable home, love and hope.

It is very unsettling how many hermies die each day, but the encouraging news is that there are a lot that will make it. And they will have a chance at living a longer life with you. Any hermie that finds his/her way into your life is a very lucky hermie indeed.

6. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] ty lighteningbee . hugs kathy

7. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I'm so sorry about your little guy Kathy. [​IMG]But I think he's glad that of all the people that could've picked him up in the pet store that day,you were the one that took him home and cared for him and loved him,until the very end.

8. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] ty crazeecrabber, i sure hope his last days were happier. i ty you for you compassion and support. hugs kathy

9. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

What a wonderful way of looking at the situation, Crazee... Kathy and the little guy found each other and Kathy was blessed to fill the end of his journey with love and kindness.

Kathy, although his passing has left your heart broken, I hope knowing that you're a wonderful, loving, compassionate mommy brings you some comfort.

10. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Kathy,
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your little hermie.

You were able to give him a moment of dignity in his journey and I'm sure he was saying thank you as he said goodbye. I'm glad he found his way to you.

cj

11. HCRUlover95

HCRUlover95 Hi, I'm New Here!

well just remeber let him go in peace and a have a pome about it well my friend does

12. Guest

Guest Guest

it's okay. [​IMG]
    my gvery 1st krab died in a tragic molting accident, my fault entierly and i still feel guilty[​IMG][​IMG]

but, you probably took very good care of the little guy in his final days[​IMG] [​IMG]
    just remember happy memories [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.