1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my legs fell off and my big pincer? help!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by kristincraig, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristincraig

kristincraig Hi, I'm New Here!

last night my one hermit crabs legs fell of and pincer! all he has left is 2 legs and a eating pincer. i dont know what to do except put him in a plastic cage(which i know is bad but thats all i have) warm water bottles around him, misted it extra well, and wrapped a warm damp towel around the cage and water bottels. am i doing it right or wrong? is he going to molt or die? help is needed!

2. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

Crabs lose limbs due to stress or their environment being subpar to what it needs to be... Um how is your temp and humidity and how long have you had the crab? Also don't over mist him misting is good in moderation but like all things too much of it is not good.

3. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Hermies will lose limbs...1.If they indeed stressed out.2.The only other thing I can think of is an injury or deformation of the leg that would cause them to drop it. Hope that helps. & I hope your hermies ok.

4. Kyxoan

They also can lose limbs if another crab or something tried to grab at it. It's a natural reaction but i don't think they would randomly shed a limb like that and you didn't mention anything about an attack so it may just be cold suffocating or stressed =(

5. kristincraig

kristincraig Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you much for your advise he died around noon today, and we burried him in a small oak coffin with him wrapped around silk in it:(

6. Kyxoan

sorry for your loss =( how is the humidity and how long have you had him for?

7. dancinhermielover

dancinhermielover (Micro Crab)

I'm so sorry. :( What were your tank conditions like? Maybe if we find out what the problem could've been, we can help you fix it so that the rest of your crabbies don't have to go through the same thing. :)

8. Klara Rose

Klara Rose Hi, I'm New Here!

Sorry for your loss. I am actually going through the same thing right now. One of my hermies, Lucy, has had only 2 legs (both on her left side) and her big claw for about 5 weeks now. I had to ISO her because the others were picking on her. But she still has not molted and she isnt very active. I do however, see her eating and drinking still. By the way, she is an E(i I have 9 other E's as well.) Does anyone have any suggestions?

9. Tiffiemarie

Tiffiemarie Hi, I'm New Here!

I had a crabby die last night and one other lose a leg i don't know what to do!!! these were both adopted from petco cuz they had low hope for them.

10. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Post-Purchase Stress combined with horrible store conditions is most likely responsible. All you can do is keep the temp and humidity up, provide a nice quiet environment, and feed them high energy foods (corn meal, honey, spirulina powder, shrimp, etc). Good luck!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.