1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my hermit emergency!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by sprite hermit, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprite hermit

sprite hermit Hi, I'm New Here!

:(:confused: I'm a new member to this forum guys. hope to get some useful tips and advice from experienced hermit crab owners.:D first off, my hermit crabs don't seem to eat. i give them veggies, dry oatmeal, fruit and dried fruit but it seems that they don't eat. iv had them for more than 5 months ( i think) one of them died already. another thing is they don't seem to drink the water either. i give them distilled/ purified water. all they do is put sand in the dishes of food and water(the dishes are glass coasters). I'm still in the process of purchasing the stuff needed for my crabitat. i already bought a 10 gallon aquarium...is that suitable? also what gauges will i need and where do i buy them. i live in the Philippines so unfortunately, there isn't a lot..or worse there isn't any pet store at all that sells stuff for hermit crabs!! they don't even know what a hermit crab is( very very sad tsk tsk)!!!. guys please help me. thanks a lot.

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

A ten gal tank is fine

they may be eating when you are a sleep
    and the rarely will drink from the water bowl or even go in it
    Do you have humitity and temp gauges?
    Humitity should be 75-80 and temp should be 80-85
    Knowing everyone on this site, they will be able to help you more.
    Good luck and welcome.

3. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Some questions first, how many hermies do you have? what type of substrate do you have? are you giving them salt water as well? What sort of heating and lighting do you have? Most hermit crabs eat very little so they are prolly eating but you just cant tell. You need a temp and humidity gauge, i dont have anywhere around me that i can get hermit crab stuff so i get all my stuff online from different stores.

4. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I get my stuff from petdiscounters.com. Vckums also has a very nice online store--she is a moderator on here!

5. sprite hermit

hi. thanks for the great advice guys.:)

ok, to answer your questions guys. no, i dont have temperature and humidity gauges yet. can i find those in the hardware store? i live in the philippines so it really doesnt get cold here.if it does get too hot i just put my hermit crabs under the shade.most of the time they arent exposed to sunlight..although isnt that supposed to be good for them?i just put them out so they can have natural light but not directly under sunlight. i use sand as my substrate. i bought it from a store where they sell stones and stuff(for landscaping or building i guess) is that ok for the crabitat?i dont have saltwater yet. about the water, do i have to apply dechlorinator first to the tap water then add the aquarium salt before giving it to my crabs? also, do i need to add dechlorinator to the fresh water? i use distilled or purified water as fresh water.is that ok? how do i give them a bath? i started giving them food that has been crushed or made with a blender so that it would be easier for them to eat.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Crushing or blending their food is fine, but it has been my experience that they just pinch off little bites. Have you ever watched them eat...you hardly notice that anything is gone! I love to watch my littleguys eat apple. They just sit there moving their feeder claw back and forth from their mouth to the apple.
    You do need to dechlorinate tap water and buy some Instand Ocean for the salt water. Table salt is not the same and is not good for your crabs. I would guess tha living in the Phil., that the natural humidity is quite high? Any humidity of temp. gauge should be fine as long as it is in the tank with the crabs. They require high humidity to help them breathe...if the humidity is too low, they can suffocate and die.

7. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

8. FlipSk8ter

FlipSk8ter Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeah i also order from PETdiscounters! Very very short wait i orderd about 7 objects took 2 days also have a person u can email for questons!:)

9. sprite hermit

wow thanks thanks alot guys. yeah, i barely notice the food being eaten or when i see them they just stick their antennas to the food. im runing out of options as what to give them. i might try soaked dog food since i saw it in the food list guide on some website.:) heres a new update. my crab spyke always comes out of his shell to greet me.one time he went out hid again in his shell then just stopped moving! i thought he was dead but i just put him back in the tank.nxt thing you know he sort of shifted position then dug a little.now his claws are scattered and torn apart ( im not sure if his neighbor starscream did it to him but i have a hunch). he is still moving a bit though but i just left him alone as i dont want anything to happen. is he molting or dying? and what should i do to make sure that he survives if he is molting? the sand in the tank isnt super deep because i ran out of cash to buy sand.:D can i use a regular 15 watt bulb from the hardware as a heat source? alternative heating stuff are most preferrred if i cant get the proper stuff. pet discounters ships worldwide am i right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.