1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my hermit crab died but doesn't smell fishy

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by dweiersta, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dweiersta

dweiersta Hi, I'm New Here!

I checked on both of our crabs in the morning ( yesturday)and found the one crab not quite himself. So I picked him up and he would usually pop his head out and walk around in the palm of my hand.....not today he didn't , he would only put out two of his legs out and thats it. Then I saw this bubbley wet stuff on him . Then he decided to grab my finger and pulled himself out of his shell. So I issolated him knowing that something was not quite right with him. I thought he was going to molt but I don't think thats the case. He then moved around curled up in a ball and was grabbing his tale end. I left him there and had the kids check on him ever so often and he was still laying there but was moving his legs. I checked on him when I got home this morning and he was in the same spot but with all legs in the air and not moving at all. He doesn't smell fishy though...so whats up with that? He is dead or ?
    I thought they smelled fishy when they die.

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

It is true, in most cases hermit crabs do smell fishy when they die, but if they have just recently died, (you know, like an hour or two ago) they do not smell as strongly, or at all. It takes a while, (maybe 3-4 hours) for the smell to really kick up and get under your skin. Anyway, I am sorry about your hermit crabs' death, and I hope that the rest of your crabbing experience goes smoother.

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Bubbles usually mean that the crab has been overheated. How do you heat your tank? If it's a UTH, do you monitor the substrate temperature? If not, even some experienced crabs have had incidents in that way, so don't feel bad, but you need to use the UTH to keep the substrate warm, and if it doesn't warm the air enough by the time the substrate is too warm (no higher than 82F), you need a secondary heating source.

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

sorry for your loss.... but keep him around until you notice a smell, just in case...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.