1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Hermies

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by eljhdl, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

I would like to introduce you all to "My Hermies"! From largest to smallest, these are my guys...

Wildwood -

[img width=400 height=300]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/eljhdl/c8953401.jpg[/img]
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/eljhdl/c217c830.jpg[/img]

Sunset -

[img width=400 height=300]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/eljhdl/IMG_3013.jpg[/img]

Sheller -

[img width=400 height=300]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/eljhdl/IMG_3007.jpg[/img]

Polkadotty -

[img width=400 height=300]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/eljhdl/IMG_3012.jpg[/img]
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/eljhdl/IMG_3008.jpg[/img]

2. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

Does that mean they're from Wildwood? Because I just went there last week and got 4 Es!! I love them because theyre so active and theyre always running around. :spunky: That looks like a big crab there in the first pic! How long have you had them?

:kpics:

3. eljhdl

Wildwood is indeed from Wildwood, NJ. Sunset and Polkadotty are also from Wildwood, NJ. Sheller from Cape May, NJ.

Wildwood is a good size. Here's me holding him. Bad pic but you can get an idea of his size.

[img width=400 height=300]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/eljhdl/10d4ac3e.jpg[/img]

Sheller I have had a little over a year. Wildwood, Sunset and Polkadotty have been with me for a few months now but came to me from a friend who had them for a year.

Congrats on your new E's!!!

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

The first picture of Polkadotty makes him look like he is falling out of his shell! He looks all droopy, and limp!

By the way, just wondering, but who named your hermit crabs?

5. eljhdl

Oh no! Polkadotty is anything but droopy!! He is trying to escape me! He wasn't at all into his photo shoot. He wanted to RUN!!!! He's a trip. Little peanut. He's so small.

My 5 year old son named Sheller and an 8 year old girl (the original owner) named Wildwood, Sunset and Polkadotty. Sunset had a painted shell with a lighthouse with sunset colors in the background and Polkadotty had a painted shell with polkadots. Thankfully they changed out of them very quickly once I got them.

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Ah. I see! Thanks for explaining!

Those are cute crabs, with cute names! I think they are in good hands with yourself!

7. eljhdl

Thank you! You are a very sweet young lady!

I am trying to take good care of them. This sight has been super helpful! Keep up the good work peeps! Us newbies need your help :huggies:

8. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

I LOVEE wildwood! the only thing i absolutely hate is on the boardwalk and how horrible the condiditons are. You can't really except anything great, but they can at least put food in the dish! And the shells are $6 PER shell. I got two of my Es from the store across from the Surfside pier and the other two I got when I was riding the surrey :hermez2: Wildwood is a big crab! (well, compared to mine he is lol)

9. eljhdl

Hetigima2 -

He's a good crab. Sort of the gentle giant type. My original little guy Sheller fell in love with Wildwood the moment they met! Sheller ran up to Wildwood immediately and of course the traditional "feeler fight" ensued and from that point on Sheller was in loooovvvveeeee! Sheller was forever taking hermie back rides on Wildwood's shell and perching face to face with Wildwood. Wildwood just rolled with it. The hermie back rides only stopped because Wildwood changed to a smooth shell and after quite a few tumbles, Sheller realized he had nothing to hang on to. They are still good friends though.

It is a shame how most of these boardwalk places (all the towns not just Wildwood) keeps their crabs. Where I bought Sheller in Cape May, they have a scented candle burning next to the wire cage with all the crabs in it to try to cover up any smells. If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have gotten him. But in the end, I am thankful to have him. He's a sweetie.

If you ever get the chance to head a little further south, Cape May has an ok gift shop on a beach called Sunset Beach that has some selection of shells. They have really good prices. I just got some small shells and medium shells yesterday. Nice ones. Small shells were 29 cents and the mediums were 99 cents. They are pretty picked over at this point in the season but still have a bit to offer. Nice pearl turbos and green turbos at good prices too. I want to say they were about a buck a piece but might have been $2. Still a good price though.

Oh my goodness! I do run at the mouth when I meet up with another Jersian don't I? :hahahaha:

10. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

I usually get my "years supply" of shells in Ocean City. This year though we didn't get to go there for a few days, so I begged my mom to drive us there from Wildwood. She said yes and I was super excited because they have shells for 69 cents to 1.19 per shell. :woohoo: So I got 4 separate shells for 2.58 and I got a big bag of all different types of shells including some 20 turbos for $6! I also got 4 shells at Wildwood, but it was so expensive I could not buy any more.Now I have a bunch of shells from last year too, but the years before that my shells were painted :eeeek:

My Es are so much fun to watch. Lion and his partner in crime Eccie are always chillin on a plant, suntanning :sunny: :hahahaha: Soui (who tried to commit suicide the day I got him :sad5: but I saved him!) is like the big brother of Baelyn. Soui hangs out with my PP probably because they are the same size and my other Es are a bit smaller.

11. eljhdl

Omg! What happened with Soui the first day?

I love watching the hermies together. Its facinating. I am a night owl by nature so I get to see the up and about quite often. I watched Sunset shop for shells one night. He must have tried on 3 different shells but ultimately was back to his original shell by morning.

How nice of your parents to make a special trip for shells!!! You got some great deals too. I love that!hahahahaha

12. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

Well Soui somehow escaped ( I guess the lid wasnt on as tight as it could be). My family and I were on the boardwalk, and when we come back I would give them food for the night. First I came in and saw the lid tipped and I was like :eeeek: I did a head count and I realized that there was only 4 crabs instead of 5. I was freaking out! I found him on the hard ground with his shell cracked and I thought he was dead. Luckily my dad saw it moving so I immediatly put him in a tiny carrier cage that I would use to bring my new ones home with two shells. I left the room and tryed to relax because I was super stressed! I went back into the room and he switched shells and I was so relieved. I put him back into the tank about a half hour later and he was fine. I'm so thankful that he didn't die and now he is in a beautiful pearl turbo that fits him (before he was in a shell that was so small for him).

Eccie was chilling on his partner in crime Lion on a piece on driftwood a couple minutes ago. I took a picture, it was too cute! I'll have to upload it soon if I can find my camera cord!

13. eljhdl

Omg!! That is quite the ordeal! I haven't owned any E's but have heard they are a handful.

Can't wait to see the pics!!!

14. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

OMG! What a story! Thanks for sharing! :flower: I'm SO glad to hear that your hermit crab is okay! At first, (before I read the rest of your post) I was about to start my apology speech!

I hate hermit crab deaths! The poor things! They can't help that they are so adventurous, or that sometimes their owner forgets to do something, or makes a mistake. They just have to perish, and suffer the consequences. :(

15. hetigima2

hetigima2 Guest

Yeah, I'm lucky that he got through it, he's a trooper. My mom said you are lucky his shell broke or else maybe he wouldve wandered off somewhere and you wouldn't be able to find him. I was like "Mom!Why would you say that!" I learned my lesson though, always double check to make sure the lids on! :yes2:

16. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Yes! At least you learned a lesson because of this incident! Very good of you for recognizing your faults, but looking at the positive side of things, opposed to the negative. Your Mom is right. He could have gotten WAY more hurt than he did, and he is LUCKY his shell cracked and that's IT! :chuckle:

So glad he's okay! :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.