1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my hermie won't eat anything else...

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by hot ball, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

I am new to hermit crab parenting, as I have stated in other posts and since a tramatic experience I am tryign to do what is the best for my little guy. I feed him dry food, both LAND HERMIT CRAB FOOD and LAND HERMIT CRAB TREAT. He doesn't eat very much of the reg food, does seem to like the treat.

I have tried to give him bananas, grapes and brocolli. He didn't touch any of it. My questions are these, 1. when I put something new in there, how long should I leave it there before assuming he doesn't like it and removing it. and 2. should I keep trying these foods over and over again until he tries it? I will keep plugging away at the food lists that have been provided in some of these posts, but I don't know how long to leave each thing in there. Do they(hermit crabs) smell stuff or do they just have to happen on it? How do I let him know something new is there? Should I assume he will find it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this out.

Thanks,
    Sharyn

2. bulldogkid

bulldogkid Hi, I'm New Here!

he will find the food just give him time:)

3. bulldogkid

only leave food in for 24 hours;)

4. bulldogkid

feed penutbutter they love it

5. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have a daytime mix that I leave in the tank during the day and then I switch it out for the fresh foods overnight.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

In commercial foods they put a pheremone in there and that makes the hermit crab want the food. Stop giving him the commercial foods and use only fresh/dry foods.
    If he doesnt touch the brocolli, tryit again in 4 days. He might want it then. Rotate out different foods and don't feed the same thing for atleast 4 days. You could cook the brocolli next time and add some olive oil/coconut oil to it. Try meats, leave it out on the counter for awhile. They are attracted to stinky foods. Pop some popcorn in a bag in the microwave, no butter or salt, and then put it in the tank. I do this to see how many crabs are up in my tank, as it always brings them out.

7. hermiecrab101

hermiecrab101 (Micro Crab)

my hermit crab used to not eat his food now she plays with it! like she digs in it!:D:p;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.