1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My hermie died, what happened?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by jsanqunetti, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jsanqunetti

jsanqunetti Hi, I'm New Here!

I just posted this somewhere else yesterday, but todayI conformed he was dead, please read below what started this and conditions to give me feedback on what might of happend and what I can do to prevent this in the future.

My hermie has been very quiet for the last several days, just staying in one place or where ever I put him. He did seem to drink a bit before but that was about it. Before this he was fairly active.

This morning I picked him up and held a little bit of peanut butter on my finger, he seemed to want to come out, and he was feeling a little limp so I decided to ISO him inside of his tank with a plastic container and a little water milkcap and foodmilk cap.

Earlier today, when I picked him up he completly came out of his shell and seemed very lifeless, so I put him in a saltwater dish to clean him off, blotted him dry and carefully put him in a new shell. But I dont really see any movement from him

SPECS>>>>

What is the volume of your main tank?
    10 gallon

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
    Three
    2 1/2 inches
    1 inch (the one in question)
    1 inch or a tad bigger

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
    TYPE HERE
    Since mid -end of June 2012?

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
    TYPE HERE (If you use Eco Earth, what do you expand it with?)
    Quickrete play sand and Eco Earth mixture, with bottled spring water added

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
    TYPE HERE (Please include the brands of commercial foods you might use, and other fresh food products in detail)
    main diet - zoo med hermit crab food
    others - assortment of fruits and veggies, banana, strawberry, romaine lettuce, carrots, etc
    peanut butter as a treat, tropical trail mix, goldfish flakes
    meat- pieces of chicken, turkey, tuna, fish,

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
    bottled spring water, and I also use zoo med hermit crab salt water

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
    no just drops of the zoo med salt water

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
    Zoo Med

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
    zoo med repti therm under tank heater. Placed underthe tank oppsite side of food and water dishes.

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
    no, do not know how that is done

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
    Temp: 72 - 73
    Humidity: usually upper 80's sometimes it goes as low as 70

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
    Not sure, my gage is at the top of the tank, heat sourse is under tank.

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
    yes, they are attached.
    Hermie 1 is him in his orginail shell
    Hermie 2 is the shell i put him in after he fell out

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hi,

Sorry he passed. I went through your info. Here's what I see. Other members will chime in as well. Feel free to ask any questions we didn't cover.

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
    Since mid -end of June 2012?
    It could be PPS. The crab might have been stressed prior to you getting him. It's pretty common with them unfortunately.

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
    TYPE HERE (If you use Eco Earth, what do you expand it with?)
    Quickrete play sand and Eco Earth mixture, with bottled spring water added

I've heard some issues with the Quickrete sand. Might want to change out the sand to a different brand. Toys R Us has sand, any Home Depot type stores would too.

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
    TYPE HERE (Please include the brands of commercial foods you might use, and other fresh food products in detail)
    main diet - zoo med hermit crab food

I'd get rid of the store bought food. It could contain ingredients that are harmful to land hermit crabs. Stick to fresh and dehydrated items like you mentioned using.

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
    Zoo Med

Id try using another brand. One I used was by Petco, it was salt water in a box. Another brand is the Red Coral Sea Salt

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
    Not sure, my gage is at the top of the tank, heat sourse is under tank.

Put the gauge where the crabs are. You will get a better reading for where they are at then.

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

[hr]
    I don't use fish flakes anymore either, I heard that they contain harmful things in them to, but more than likely it's due to stress something that happens to some crabs at times. Don't toss your shells when a crab dies, I would bury your baby but boil the shell so you have some extras. To lesson stress on newbies just do hands off method, feed and water them for the 1st month, don't play or handle them. load them up with organic honey, peanut butter, or fine chop unseasoned walnuts, peanuts, pecans, check out the food list, worm castings is another reall good 1st food starter for them.

4. jsanqunetti

Has anyone else used Quickrete sand? I scopped out a bit and put a magnet to it, and nothting seemed to stick to it, so im wandering if its okay? I got it at my local Ace Hardware store

Also how many use commercial pellet food? I understand not using it as an entire source of food, but I'm confused if its soo bad for hermies why is it on the shelves. Im worried if I cut it out completly they will lost out on their nutritions.?

Stress? Maybe that did it, not sure but when I got him, he crawled on me and was fairly active.

Do you guys really think it was the sand or offering commerical food to him that did it? those alone don't seem quite right???
    [hr]
    ohh I mentioned the sand and the food, becasue I dont know if its worth it to change out the whole tank of sand and toss the commerical food to get a new crab.

Or If I should keep the tank the way it is, get a newbie and just let him be without interaction and offer him peanut butter, nuts etc as side dishes along with the commerical food?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I honestly think it was from PPS, but those are the changes you should do before you get another crab. There is a safe and unsafe food list. The commercial food is on the shelf, they don't have to list every ingredient and to keep that food from going bad they use preservatives. People have had many, many bad cases while using a commercial food. I strongly suggest looking at the safe food list, use that as your guideline and your hermit crabs won't lose out on anything.

There is also a link for safe substrates and how to use them as well. It's all in the crab care section.

6. jsanqunetti

Vicki

I found a safe food list by category here http://epicurean-hermit.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=273 is that what you are talking about? the only thing I did not see there was proteins I can try a vareity of that

Also with the substrate saw your link here http://thehermitcrabaddiction.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=6826 but I did not see suggested brands, but there is a picture of the quickrite that I use in the link??

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yes that's the safe food list. Proteins can be meats( no spices), salt free peanut butter, fish, shrimp, beans, scrambled eggs to name a few. They need a protein every day. You can leave dried items in a food dish until they are eaten. Fresh foods should be taken out after leaving in overnight.

The link for the substrate is from a member who has used that particular brand. We also had a few members use that sand and have it clump together around a molting crab. It's going to have to be a personal choice whether to use or not.

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Alot of us have a hands off method. I have had mine for 5 yrs and still do not pick them upexcept to clean their tank or to get a look at them to make sure they look good. All hermit crabs are plucked out of the wild, travel to different states and put in captivity with poor conditions. There will be deaths from pps. No pellet food. Also there are all kinds of things sold that are not good for you. They do the same thing to hermit crabs. Alot of pet food has preservitives in it which are not good for them. If you buy from a pet store look at the ingredience to make sure there isnt alot of things in there you cant even pronounce. That is a sign not to use it.

9. jsanqunetti

Code:

Ohh okay, so a regular Jiffy or Peter Pan would not be a sufficient choice for peanut butter, It has 6% salt.

I guess I will keep trying the substrate that I have now, do you know of any other brands of play sand though that other members have had good luck with

thanks for all your help, just want to make sure I have things correct before I get a new one to keep my other two crabs company :)

10. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Personally, I don't use the pet store food unless it's a last resort (I'm a poor college kid) but I pretty much give them bits and pieces of my snacks and dinner.
    I don't go with the hands off method but I also don't bother them a whole lot. Sometimes I take them out for some fresh air because their tank air can get a little stale with the lack of flow in my room.

For proteins, I go to the seafood section at my work and buy 6 shrimp a week and I put them 1 in a pan with carrots and extra virgin olive oil (evoo) until the shrimp is golden and the carrots. I also make them boiled eggs or scrambled eggs with EVOO