1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My heat lights burned out.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by HermitCrabby, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitCrabby

HermitCrabby Hi, I'm New Here!

:aargh: My heat lights burned out. So now my crabs are colder then normal. :sad5: It is almost 73 degrees but my room is normally a little cold. So its probally around 71 degrees in there. Anyway, can I do anything to help raise the heat? My ISO tank is in there with a crab who lost her big claw and needs some extra help. Can I heat the water that I spray them with just a tad bit like you do with a baby bottle? And their hideout is on sand which is a little bit warmer but what do you guys think I should do?? :hermzpoo: So bye all and have a good day. Still mad though. My expression when they didnt turn on this morning :whaaaat: :eek:mg: :eeeek: LOL

2. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

Have you gotten a new light yet? If not you might try placing warmed damp towels over most of the top of the crabitat. This might help with the heat and also make it a dark damp place for your Nawla. :dontknow:

3. HermitCrabby

Thank you. I will try this today when I get their substrate wet. (The sand stays dry because they spend alot of time in the hideout and its warmer with dry sand) :thanks:

4. HermitCrabby

***UPDATE**** I am going to try the towels.I really hope it works out. Another update later.

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

do u have a space heater

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You could also try taking empty plastic soda bottles, etc, and filling them with hot water, screw the top on tight and place them on the sand. Cover the tank with a blanket to keep in the warmth until you can get a replacement.

Something that I use on my tank year round is the silver emergency blanket. It's used by emergency agencies, campers, boaters, etc. to keep in a person's body heat, or in my case the tank heat.
    You can find them in places like Walmart and they are in a package about 3X5 and cost around $3. You get two blankets and they are usually in with the camping things.

One question though...why do you not use moist (sand castle consistency) sand? It's very important for a crab to be able to burrow in the sand without it caving in on him, most especially if he is molting. A lot of times crabs will bury themselves if the tank air is too cold or too warm and being able to create tunnels and caves ensures that the crab/s have enough air while under.
    My guys like to tunnel and party-hearty under the substrate at night. In the mornings I'll look in the tank and there are holes everywhere. Those little party animals! :straw:

7. HermitCrabby

Jellybean, The sand is in one corner, about 4and 1/2 be 4 and 1/2 inches. It isnt even deep enough for them to dig in. My crabs dont like digging in sand so I keep it at a low amount and dry. I am very busy so I use coconut fiber at a sand castle consistency. OK. The next time I go out to Target I will get a blanket. :) TY :twirl: :hermzpoo:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.