1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Four Crabs...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Hermie_the_Crab, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Hermie_the_Crab

Hermie_the_Crab Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi!  I am new here and fairly new to crabs, but learning everyday!  I have 4 crabs, Hermie, Sara, Acrobat(pronounced ahkcobot), and Chihuahua(pronounced cheewawa).  I beleive the last three are PP's but I am not quite sure on Hermie.  I have had sare for I think, 2 years?  But I just recently realized that a critter keeped, commercial food, water, and a sponge was NOT all she needed  :oops:.  I recently got Hermie from a freind and now have them both in a 10 gallon with good temp and I keep forgetting to set the hygrometer but I don't think the humidity is too bad.  I got Acro and Chi about a week ago and they are currently in iso but will be moving to the main tank soon :).  I am also developing my own recepie using many recorces on proper hermie diet I found.  Well,  I think that is all.  I will post pictures of my "kids" tomorrow ;).
    -Hermie_the_Crab

2. imported_Eric

imported_Eric (Small Crab)

Woo! Welcome to the addiction!

Glad to have ya!

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:welcome:  We're glad to have you here.

Humidity and temperature are extremely important to the health of the crab. Here is a suggestion on 'How to calibrate you gage".

It's good to make sure your gages are reading correctly. Here's how!
    1. Get 2 heavy duty zip lock baggies.
    2. table salt
    3. small container for salt( 2 liter soda bottle top for example)

Put the salt in the container. Put a few drops of water onto the salt, just to moisten the salt. Then place the container inside the baggie. Now place the gauger in the baggie. Make sure you have this in a spot somewhere that no small kids can get to or that it can be knocked over. Wait between 4-6 hours. When you check it after that amount of time, look in the bag without opening it.Your gauger should be reading 75%. If it IS NOT, then thats how much your gauger is off by.

For those that have a set screw or other adjustment on their hydrometer  (humidity gage):
    To fix this you can get a small screwdriver and turn the screw on the gauger. If it's off by 7%(68%) then turn it so it reads 7% higher.

If it isn't adjustable, then you will have to remember how much it is off by and add/subtract degree's accordingly.  :flower:

4. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

:madhouse:
    :straw:
      :welcome:
    Make sure to check out the Hermit Crab Monthly(HCM) newsletter!

5. Hermie_the_Crab

Hermie_the_Crab Hi, I'm New Here!

PLEASE READ!! URGENT!  http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=6493.msg51545#msg51545

6. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Okay.