1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Food Arsenal (pic)

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by kuplakrabs, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Ally, maybe I could buy some poo from you LOL!

2. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Wendy,
    Your picture is just impressive! [​IMG]
    So organized, so many choices!

It's inspiring!

I can just see my husband's eyebrow raising
    in my direction now...[​IMG]

cj

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Here's some more paper titles -- I know I have some more around here somewhere; I think they're on the hard drive of my other computer.

Dietary assimilation and the digestive strategy of the omnivorous anomuran land crab Birgus latro, Joanne E. Wilde, Stuart M. Linton, Peter Greenaway, 2004

Avoidance of recently eaten foods by land hermit crabs, Coenobita compressus, Robert W. Thacker, 1997

Food choices of land hermit crabs (Coenobita compressus H. Milne Edards) depend on past experience, Robert W. Thacker, 1995

And three interesting papers on decapod crustaceans in general, and aspects of their nutritional needs:

Protein digestibility and amino acid availability of several protein sources for juvenile Chinese hairy crab Eriocheir sinensis H. Milne-Edwards, Y Y Mu, T J Lam, J Y Guo, K F Shim, 2000

Reproduction response of Chinese mitten-handed crab (Eriocheir sinensis) fed different sources of dietary lipid, Xiao Bo Wen, Li Qiao Chen, Zhong Liang Zhou, Chun Xiang Ai, Glenn Y. Deng, 2001

Re-evaluation of Metabolic Requirements for Copper and Zinc in Decapod Crustaceans, M. H. Depledge, 1989

Enjoy!

4. kuplakrabs

WHOA

Kerie, have you actually read all of that yet? I wonder if there is a place on line that I can download some of these papers. Do you have a source?

You da bomb [​IMG]

5. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

LOL yes, actually, and several really cryptic ones dealing with heavy metal poisoning. [​IMG]

I have sent you a "connection" via PM, and I got some of the non-coenobita papers at:

http://www.aquaticinvaders.org/nan_ld.cfm

They are so civilized; they'll send you papers at ten cents a page, and bill you later. I had a ball with them, not finished yet. There are two or three species of "nuisance" crab that are covered in great detail on that site by various papers, and a lot of it has general deacapod biological information that can then be extrapolated onto coenobita.

If I weren't mathematically-challenged, I'd have been a scientist. But I can't do math. Sort of the anti-Rain man, I guess.

6. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Buy? No way. Meet me for lunch and pet store browsing sometime, though, and I'll bring ya some for free. [​IMG]

7. kuplakrabs

Lunch with a side of poo...sounds good LOL!

8. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

A copy of _Biology of the Land Crabs_ goes for $70? Eeek! I have a copy from the (university) library and just keep renewing it. When I graduated, I made my husband check it out for me in his name, since he's a staff member. But someday someone will recall it, and then where will I be? I should start watching the used book sites now. I haven't read it all the way through, but cherry-pick using the index a lot.

9. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Ugh, Vanessa told me last night that a copy was up on Ebay last month for $30 and nobody bid! AAAAAARGH!

And let me tell you, when I saw how small Studies in Adaptation was, I couldn't believe it! Textbooks sure are expensive.

10. kuplakrabs

I ended up getting my copy for 51.00 with shipping. The guy has 7 copies left. I can't wait to receive it so I can make a definite recommendation to others that wish to purchase it. He has a lot of other Invertabrate texts as well. I think I will check to see if he has Studies in Adaptations as well.

11. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Wow!!! Never knew people have that much food for hermit crabs, my parents probably wouldn't let me have that much food, anyway!!!

12. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Woohoo! I got my copy of Biology of the Land Crabs today, a week early! Jazzed, I'm sooooo jazzed. Happy reading to me!

And there's a great drawing of a hermit on the dust jacket. So cute.

13. kuplakrabs

Kerie, I'm jazzed for you! (and a bit envious LOL-I wish mine would hurry, hurry, hurry)

Felicity,
    A lot of the foods you see are foods that I eat such as freeze dried strawberries, bananas, raspberries, peaches, mango, pineapple, persimmons, peas, etc. There are also a variety of seaweeds which are also for human consumption such as Laver, Alaria, Dulse, Nori, Kelp, and Bladderwrack. You will also find honey, sesamee seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, oats, barley, cornmeal, as well as different kinds of nuts (unsalted). I portion some out for the crabs and keep them in separate containers. You might be surprised what kinds of foods you can share with your crabs that are already in your cupboards.

14. Felicity Loves Animals

Thank you for telling me!!! I will look, we have unsalted, no shelled sunflower seeds here, and a lot of the stuff you use!!! Thanks for telling me!!!

15. kuplakrabs

Update:

I got my copy of Biology of The Land Crabs today-wow that was fast-only 5 days. The book was 49.00 for the hard cover w/dust jacket and shipping was a mere 2.00.

www.wayner.com and look under the Invertebrates section. #1267

16. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Wendy, thanks so much for the link. My copy arrived today! Fascinating...and it appears that there is alot that still has not been properly researched, but this is a great resource to start with!

17. Felicity Loves Animals

Well good, Ally!!!

18. revengful_kitty

revengful_kitty Hi, I'm New Here!

HI,
    I am only new to HC, and have been searching all over the place for a food list. You all are amazing! I didn't have a clue as to how much variety they eat. So I have written everyone's HC food into one single list. That way I can put it on the fridge and know what I can give them. Thanks

19. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Hey, RK, love the "handle," LOL

For an even longer list, you're welcome to join Epicurean Hermit:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epicurean_hermit/

It's a nutrition group I'm running, all about hermit crab diet. We have a very extensive food list there that's always being added to. Quite a few HCRU members have joined as well -- I'm making this group available as a sort of annex to all the hermit crab groups I belong to, a resource for all the crabbers in my internet family.

You'll be amazed just how much your crabs can eat safely -- we even have a very long list of edible flowers.

20. HCRUlover95

HCRUlover95 Hi, I'm New Here!

i have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more food then u

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.