1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Food Arsenal (pic)

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by kuplakrabs, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Okay, I decided it would be fun to take a picture of all of the foods I have in stock for my crabs. I'm ashamed to say that there are at least 10 not pictured because I ran out of storage containers LOL

Today I got some freeze dried pineapple, raspberries, peaches and strawberries as well as some hemp seeds and hemp seed protein powder. They are getting the protein powder, pineapple, a sprinkle of raspberries, laver, and plankton tonight [​IMG] Hope they like it.

[​IMG]

I think I'm addicted to buying foods for the crabs. [​IMG]

2. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Holy cow Wendy! You've got the best fed crabs in the US! [​IMG]
    Jodie

3. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Cappa = Speechless

LOL

4. kuplakrabs

I really didn't realize how much stuff I had until there was no room left in the fridge and in the stand under the tank. [​IMG]

5. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Geez! ummmm...I'm with Cappa on this one!

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Hi, I'm New Here!

and i thought i was nuts for keeping 6 different kinds.. you win... your the real nutter Wendy..

=P

7. kuplakrabs

Really? *slightly embarrassed* No one else has a lot of foods? Come on, someone must. LOL

I guess I am a nutter LMAO! Time for a reality check...need to stop spending money on food for the crabs.

8. RedWolf

RedWolf Hi, I'm New Here!

im just teasing ya lass... i buy fruit for them one piece at a time.. and i share the kids fruit with em as well.. need to get them some meat tho... might chuck them a piece of steak this aft... ran out of chicken...

so your not nutters... well you are.. but then again.. who here isnt..

=P

9. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Wendy! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I have a tote that takes up half of an entire refrigerator shelf, one and a half shelves on the fridge door, half the regular freezer (both shelves in the door, and some stuff in the body of the freezer) and a whole shelf in the pantry just for my crab food.

You aren't alone, sweetie. Not by a long shot.

10. kuplakrabs

Kerie,
    Whew...I'm glad I'm not the only one LOL. I can't seem to help myself. I am constantly scouting out new things to feed them and I truly believe that the crabs are thankful for my efforts.

I guess it is my hope that by providing such a huge variety that I expose them to all of the necessary nutrients that they would find in their native environment. They may not come across certain foods I have, per se, but those foods just may have what they are lacking in captivity. I think it is important to provide a wide variety to prevent molt deformities too.

What I am really trying to find is a source of vertebrate waste that would be suitable to feed in captivity. Since I know they are exposed to it in the wild and have been observed feasting on such things.

11. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

OK Wendy, I have to admit I have learned a lot from you. The little glad bowls was a great ideal, but now I think I need to buy more food for my hermies.

12. kuplakrabs

I like the little Gladware too...just wish they were half the size. Seems like a lot of wasted space. I keep most of my foods in the refridgerator, but some are under the tank-dry things like the alfalfa, chamomile flowers, marigold flowers, and such. I keep some of the other things that I have a lot of in the freezer.

13. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Wow, what I can't believe is how well organized it all is! My hermie foods are a jumble of jars, baggies and packages clipped shut with clothespins. Gives me something to aspire to! [​IMG]

14. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I agree with you 1000% (yes, that's a thousand, not a typo, LOL). I've read several different research papers on coenobita foraging and diet, and if you look at their biology, it is in their best interests to supply the widest diet possible. They are biologically predisposed to eat different foods with every meal, and will literally avoid foods they have had recently eaten ("recently" with compressus is about 9-12 hours). They get really REALLY bored with a repetitive diet.

The safest poop is tortoise poop, because turtle poop has a much higher rate of parasites. I have a source, I'm just too grossed out to feed it to my crabs, LOL. I have a herp shop that is tops in the Northern California area, the East Bay Vivarium. Their animals are clean and healthy, and they give away items like poop and snake skins for the asking. I keep asking them for dead lizards and tarantulas, but they aren't sure what to make of that. [​IMG] I have come away with fresh tortoise poop on occasion. But it always ends up in the freezer; the idea of feeding poop, no matter how beneficial, is abhorrent to me.

The idea of feeding poop is for the gut flora that it can provide. I'm trying to find out from Dr. Greenaway if the bacterial even survive the crab's digestive process to benefit them (or make them sick, in the case of parasites). I get those gut flora into my crabs with T-Rex Crab Island food, which has them added, but in all honesty, I don't know if the bacteria survive the gastric mill. Perhaps they get actual nutrition from bacteria, instead of using them to digest foods like other animals do. I'll get back to you on this one. Dr. Greenaway is out of the office, but aware of my inquiry.

15. kuplakrabs

I have been very intently reading and re-reading Dr. Greenaways article "Terrestrial Adaptations in the Anomura (Crustacea: Decapoda) and am thirsty for more. Any source you have for excellent reading would be greatly appreciated.

As for the tortoise poop, you can freeze it huh? I have been reading about the Cavipes on Quirimba Island and their feasts upon, uh well, lets just say antoher poop source [​IMG]. There must be something they need in there. Honestly, these crabs have gone from hobby to almost research for me. I am dying to know more. My next purchase is "Biology of the Land Crabs"-I need to read.

16. kuplakrabs

Moire_eel,
    Don't be fooled...LOL mine were like that until I couldn't fit anything in the fridge any longer. And I got tired of shuffling through the tub of things in the tank stand. I finally gave in a decided to take a day and get organized-which is a feat for me. Usually my children are so very helpful (detect the sarcasm here) and I can never get anything done LOL. I must have gotten lucky and had a day when they both were either napping or occupied.

17. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I just ordered Biology of the Land Crabs from www.alibris.com -- hint hint, LOL. Good source for expensive textbooks -- my soft cover used copy was over $70 with shipping! Eeek. To be fair, Studies in Adaptation: the Behavior of Higher Crustacea was over $60 with shipping.

Vanessa linked some great papers on CSJ:

http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1037

I'll have to dig through my research paper pile for the rest of the titles, but this should get you started.

18. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Here's some other papers:

Michael Lepore. . 1988 Chemical attraction of hermit crabs to purified flesh degradation products. (1988) Natural Sciences, New College of Florida Sarasota, FL. USA

Natalie Newton. 1990 Behavioral analysis of feeding and shell use by Coenobita clypeatus observed in Belize. (1990). Natural Sciences, New College of Florida Sarasota, FL. USA

Wilde JE, Linton SM, Greenaway P. 2004 Dietary assimilation and the digestive strategy J Comp Physiol . 2004 May;174(4):299-308. Epub 2004 Feb 04

But wait, there's more! Just have to find them.

19. kuplakrabs

Kerie, you are a fantastic wealth of information [​IMG] Thank you so much. I ended up finding a site and purchasing my copy of the book before I checked back here...I can't wait to get it. It is going to be my early birthday present.

I will definitely be checking out the other papers too.

20. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Actually, tortoise poop may not have less parasites than turtle poop, depending on the animal. A high majority of the tortoises kept in the states are exotics (the handful of native species are pretty much all protected), and only a few of the exotic species are captive bred. Any wild caught torts WILL have parasites, so make sure that the tort you are getting poo from has been dewormed.

My tort was dewormed in January, and I waited a couple of months to make sure the dewormer completely went through his system. I think I'm about ready to try using some of it for feed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.