1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first molt was a success! :] (and a question)

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Markie, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markie

Markie "Never Molted"

My little Peewee has been underground since summer started (may 22 I think?) and I've been completely worried since. Maybe I wouldn't have been if she'd shown any noticeable signs of molting. There wasn't a hole left either, so I had no idea which area she was in. Of course, I really missed her. Soon after, Herbert dug, and he has yet to show up.

Anyway, I left for a week, and came home again (with lots of new stuff for them!) on Saturday. My parents picked me up on Saturday (I had the family on hermit crab duty) and mom told me neither of my ecuadorian buddies had shown up yet, so I was worried.

We got home and the first thing I did was check up on my hermits. Sure enough, Peewee had surfaced while the parents were picking me up. She was sitting happily on their log home thingy with a gorgeous new blue tint. (It's really pretty, I'll get some pictures in a week.)

I'm so happy that my hermit (and I) have survived the first molt. I was so nervous. :D
    Herbert should show up soon, but I'm still a tad concerned.

Also, is it safe to put a new layer of soil and move the dishes around while Herbert is underground? Don't want him getting stuck down there.
    I figured the soil is loose enough for him to navigate through, but I'm not sure.

If you didn't fall asleep whilst reading this whole long thing, thanks. :p
    And thanks for reading everyone. :]]

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I'm still awake :) don't add soil unless you know exactly where the crab is then you can add except there.........dishes being moved is A-OK! E's are weird molters and they molt often so be ready

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Wide awake and Very hyper here!!!!!!( think i had too much soda....) as hermez said dont put down any extra subtrate till you crab comes up. I did when i was jast a newbie and lost 3 crabs in the mix :(

4. Markie

Markie "Never Molted"

Ohh, I'm sorry. ]: Thanks to both of you. n_n

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

What type of soil are you using? I agree with not adding extra soil hen a crab is down....

6. Markie

Markie "Never Molted"

About 6 inches of sand, it was a twenty five pound bag and there's about 5 pounds of calci-sand mixed into the play sand, and I recently added 1-2 inches of coconut soil.

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I was a little confused by your use of the term "soil". Down here in TX, soil is dirt. :D

8. Markie

Markie "Never Molted"

Aha, it's like ground up coconut husk or something, but they call it soil. One of those things that come in a brick? Hope that helps somewhat. :p

Herbert's come up though, happy but lacking two legs. :/
    And, unfortunately, of unknown causes and quite randomly, Peewee died two days or so ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.