1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Molt!!! Dead Or Alive???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Hermies4Ever, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I currently have 5 hermit crabs named Romeo, Elmo, Juliet, Wasabi, and Smokey. They are housed in a 30-gallon glass aquarium with EE (Eco Earth) as substrate. I feed them a pelleted crab food and the occasional coconut and brine shrimp.

Guess what! Romeo molted! I am not sure when, but I found him at the bottom of the tank, buried in the EE (Eco Earth). He was all peach-colored, so I knew he had just molted, and plus, his old exo skeleton was beside him. I am very excited about his first molt, but I am not sure that he is alive. Wasabi kicked him out of his shell, and he was naked for a while. Than he changed into a different shell. Now he is not moving. Help!:eek:

2. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

Give him time, post molt is veryyy difficult, too. They don't get their energy back until their new EXO grows on, i believe. However, if you can smell rotting fish from him, he is dead. if not, he should be alive, so just give him a little time =]

Good luck, let me know the outcome!

3. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I here alot from this site that pelleted foods are bad for crabs,
    So I wouldn't give tthem any. I don't know if that's just true about pellets from the store or all pelletts, so you should look at the threads that mention them.
    HAPPY CRABBING!

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Don't disturb your molter by peeking at him and such. They are very weak and very vulnerable at this time. When his exo hardens a bit he will eat his old one, which is rich in calcium. Be patient, they know what is best for them. :)

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

If someone else kicked him out of his shell, make sure he's isolated within the tank from all the other crabs - otherwise, they'll steal his exo and it will take him even longer to get back to normal.

Also, Donny's right - pelleted foods are awful. They contain poisonous preservatives that companies use to keep the food from spoiling, and those cause crabs to die. They also don't contain all the nutrition crabs need and crabs don't seem to realize that all the nutrition is in the pellet. Crabs are used to going to a calcium source to get calcium, a protein source to get protein, a cellulose source to get cellulose, etc. When all of those things are in one place, crabs get confused and oftentimes will eat less.

You should stop feeding the pellets immediately and give them fresh foods - a meat, a fruit, a veggie, and a calcium every night. Ask your mom for help and ask if she can save an extra piece or two so you can freeze them for days that you don't eat crab-safe foods. You could also ask her if she could make an order for you at the Addiction store - maybe she could buy you one or more of the Can I Have a Taste packs so your crabs can have a lot of variety!

6. Hermies4Ever

Oh, no! I forgot that you're not supposed to take out your hermies' old exoskeleton. I threw it away! Will he die?

7. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

one has to wonder if you actuall read anything on this site. I dont really say that to be mean but as one of the sites biggest contributors (IE> Most posts per day) you would think that you had your own tank in order before you gave advise to others.
    I personally have told you several times that pellets are bad and they need real food fresh daily.
    From your post you say you "Found" him at the bottom of the tank which to me sounds a whole lot like "DUG UP" Which you also know is a big no no.
    Now you need to take your poor crab and ISO him cover him with a coco hut and keep him in total darkness. Givve him fresh food (Not pellets and not only coco nut) DAILY
    Do they have salt water? if so what kind do you use?
    Alex I am not trying to be mean but we dont give advise on this site for the heck of it, for you to go off and do whatever YOU feel is right, this advise is coming from people who are raising healthy crabs why would you ignore it?
    I think before you reply to threads you REALLY need to read them and understand what is bing said before posting your usual "Yes I agree with so and so"
    Mods if you feel this is too harsh feel free to delete it, but I feel that some of these younger members are more Part of the problem than the cause sometimes and it gets very irritating to sit by quietly every day

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Make sure you give him the following:
    Honey
    Organic peanut butter (not skippy)
    calcium block
    shrimp w/ exo
    steak/chicken
    and other fresh fruits and veggies and meats with protien and calcium.

9. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

How do you "accidentally" throw away an exo? If he wasn't molting on the surface, how did you even have access to the exo? He's going to need a lot of calcium and chitin now, so crush up as many eggshells as you can get your hands on, get a cuttlebone, and buy as many dried bug products as you can from the pet store - plankton, shrimp, krill, bloodworms, tubifex worms, mealworms, silkworms, crickets, etc. All of this is on top of a big need for protein (shrimp, chicken, beef, etc.) and the usual foods (fruits and veggies).

10. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Shrimp shells... something that might be close to what his old exo would be like. and lost of it. lots of darkness, and don't move your crab anymore unless you have to. If you have to move your others. Or something. Just leave him alone, put some exo around, and don't try and force feed your crab either.

Good luck. That's a pretty big mistake. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

11. Hermies4Ever

Thank you, everyone. I know, that was a careless thing to do. I don't know what I was thinking, and Cloie74, you have a point! After all, I am a member of Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us, and I have heard numerous times that you're not supposed to take out your hermit crab's old exoskeleton.

12. Hermies4Ever

I am happy to announce to you all that Romeo had a successful molt!!! I would also like to thank you all for all your advice and tips. . .;););)

13. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I hope you have other succsesfull molts!!!!

14. Hermies4Ever

Thank you!!!

15. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

I have birds and they use the cuttle bone for calcium, so i shave cuttle bone throughout the tank etc.. or just put in a chunk, but maybe you could shave some cuttle bone for him/her as well

16. Hermies4Ever

Okay, thank you for your advice!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.