1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first ever SURFACE moult.. ugh.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Aminah Undone, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aminah Undone

Aminah Undone Hi, I'm New Here!

I brought home three little Es, yesterday. The ones I chose were all active and climbing all over me, when I was looking through the enclosure. Of course, as usually happens, they all went down for some de-stress time almost as soon as we got home and into the quarantine tank.

This morning, I found one on top of the substrate, lifeless. I went to pick it up and remove it from the tank, and the exo-skeleton came right off. I was sure the crabby kid was gone, then. I put it in a little deli cup and waited to call the shop, for refund or exchange. I wasn't sure if they needed a pic or the body or what.

Well, after finding out the shop didn't need the body or a pic, I was about to dispose (bury) the body. When I opened the deli cup, the little crabby kid was moving its legs and working it's pincher claw quite a bit. I thought I was seeing things. Haha!

I've never EVER had one moult on the surface before. Ever. I put the kid back in the tank, in a shallow hole that I dug, and gently piled some substrate up around it. It has dug itself down the slightest bit, and it moves, but it won't completely submerge.

What am I supposed to do? What can I do? Is this a waiting game? Do I intervene?

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You might try putting a hermie hut over him and the exo. And making the tank dark. A blanket or towel over the tank. It will also help the others destress.I would say to put a 1/2 liter soda bottle over it but you wouldnt be able to put the bottle deep because you dont know where the others are buried Make sure it has plenty of food and water. If you have another tank you could put it in there.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

How's the little molter doing? :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.