Today, I did my first tank clean. Some back story... Back in June, I got a 10g tank after realizing my impulse buy was 1) irresponsible and 2) quite fortunate because I LOVE these guys! Setting up the tank that night took me almost 3 hours and the tank was quite bare, just EE, water and food dishes. Tonight, it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Here's my log of how. 1) I learned that 1 block of EE was approximately right for a 10g tank. 2) Instead of pouring a bucket full of water to soak the block, I poured about 3 inches of water. Once it soaked that all up, I turned the block over. On the soaked side, the EE was much looser, and I could pour salt water directly on to the looser, wider side, and it would soak it in. I slowly poured more and more until it would depress easily and felt wet enough. There was absolutely no excess water. No sitting there trying to drain EE out of a lot of water. That took me forever. 3) I took the entire block and moved it right into the tank, and broke it up in there. No mess, no fuss, it was where it needed to be in one move. 4) I scrapped the gravel on one side thing. Rinsing and drying the gravel was time consuming and didn't really help me at all. 5) I used a toothbrush to brush off their toys, the climbing net, and get old EE out of the tank edges. It worked amazingly. 6) I had to throw the EE out. It had been mixed with salt water and I couldn't put that in the garden. I dumped most of it in a double layer Giant plastic bag. I would have relocated my crabs to the creature kit just during the clean... But I got lazy. I moved as much of the EE out, and then took the hut, put it in top of the old EE now in the bags, then scooped up my crabs and set them down right in front of the hut. I didn't want them wandering around in the bad and potentially getting out. Worked like a charm. They went right back in, only slightly woken up. In my previous set up, I had the cocohut entrance behind the cholla log. I know my crabs loved the extra dark, on top of the hanging hemp net shell shop's cover, it would very nice and private. But I couldn't see in there at all! No matter from what angle. So my crabs and I, we compromised. I moved the hut up, the wood back. I turned the entrance of the hut away from the room window, and also made sure there was open space under the cholla log to act as a darker bit of shade if they choose. After an hour and 15, here is what we have.