1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First 10g Clean: Things I Figured Out

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by strawberryskittle, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Today, I did my first tank clean. Some back story...

Back in June, I got a 10g tank after realizing my impulse buy was 1) irresponsible and 2) quite fortunate because I LOVE these guys!

Setting up the tank that night took me almost 3 hours and the tank was quite bare, just EE, water and food dishes. Tonight, it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Here's my log of how.

1) I learned that 1 block of EE was approximately right for a 10g tank.

2) Instead of pouring a bucket full of water to soak the block, I poured about 3 inches of water. Once it soaked that all up, I turned the block over. On the soaked side, the EE was much looser, and I could pour salt water directly on to the looser, wider side, and it would soak it in. I slowly poured more and more until it would depress easily and felt wet enough. There was absolutely no excess water. No sitting there trying to drain EE out of a lot of water. That took me forever.

3) I took the entire block and moved it right into the tank, and broke it up in there. No mess, no fuss, it was where it needed to be in one move.

4) I scrapped the gravel on one side thing. Rinsing and drying the gravel was time consuming and didn't really help me at all.

5) I used a toothbrush to brush off their toys, the climbing net, and get old EE out of the tank edges. It worked amazingly.

6) I had to throw the EE out. It had been mixed with salt water and I couldn't put that in the garden. I dumped most of it in a double layer Giant plastic bag. I would have relocated my crabs to the creature kit just during the clean... But I got lazy. :eek: I moved as much of the EE out, and then took the hut, put it in top of the old EE now in the bags, then scooped up my crabs and set them down right in front of the hut. I didn't want them wandering around in the bad and potentially getting out. Worked like a charm. They went right back in, only slightly woken up.

In my previous set up, I had the cocohut entrance behind the cholla log. I know my crabs loved the extra dark, on top of the hanging hemp net shell shop's cover, it would very nice and private. But I couldn't see in there at all! No matter from what angle. So my crabs and I, we compromised. I moved the hut up, the wood back. I turned the entrance of the hut away from the room window, and also made sure there was open space under the cholla log to act as a darker bit of shade if they choose.

After an hour and 15, here is what we have.

Attached Files:

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Great job! :D I love how you hung you hemp net! Your ten gallon looks so much bigger than mine!

3. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

Very nice! I'm about to do my first deep clean of my 10 gallon, so the info you gave about the EE was very helpful!

4. strawberryskittle

I'm glad you find it helpful! Good luck with your clean! I'm glad I learned some stuff. Granted none of it was really like HUGE breakthroughs, but they were still important enough to help me save time that I felt quite happy with myself for sure :D

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Looks pretty good! That right side is bare...maybe it's the future home for a shower caddy or another hemp net? Haha, just kidding...crabs are addicting enough as it is...

6. strawberryskittle

A shell shop probably

Already thinking about that. :eek: I get a feeling they don't like to change shells on that net. Maybe too rocky... I just...need to figure out how I can do a second level shell shop...no idea where to start :/

7. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Mine won't change shells on the net if it gets too wobbly. They will throw the thing over the side and then go put it on down there.

8. strawberryskittle

That's what mine did too! I'm so glad I'm not losing my mind. So I definitely want them to have a good clean surface to change in. What do you guys think, how can I rig a nice second level for them? I would love your ideas!

9. emmac350

I used a soap dish back when I was in my 10g. I bought one made by the brand 3M, so instead of suction cups (which I have had awful luck with in my tank) it had sticky strips that held it on really well. When I wanted to take it off, just pull the tab on the strips and they come right off with no residue left behind.

10. strawberryskittle

Is a soap dish big enough? How big was your do you remember? or was it like one of those big corner triangular ones?

11. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

im getting a Shower Caddy form my tank

12. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

For my second level I use a plastic basket from Vicki's store. Where can you get sticky strips? From Micheals or Walmart maybe? Right now my basket is held up by choya wood.

13. strawberryskittle

Sounds precarious :eek:

14. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

I will post a close up of one of my more studier second levels when I breakdown my soon-to-be old tank. I got an oak dowel rod and a roll of hemp. Cut the dowel rod in 6 pieces. Took three and tied them into a triangle shape and wove hemp in it so it formed a triangle mat, supported on the edges by wood. The other three peices I use as a prop and tie them to the underside.

15. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

you can get them at any hardware store

16. emmac350

I get mine from Wal-Mart. If you look in the bathroom stuff (you know, shower caddies, soap dishes, etc. area) you may even find the soap dish 3M makes - it works FANTASTIC. My guys lived up there almost - they would hide under the moss I had put on it.

17. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

What a cute miniature crabitat!!!

18. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

i like the tank!!! it looks alot bigger than mine!

19. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Hurray for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.