1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My favorite Crab tips!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by Mama Crabs, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

I'm pretty new at crabbing, but I've read a ton of posts and have come across a lot of great tips, some of them from you all! I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite tips then you can list yours.

Here I go....

Using zip ties to hold stuff up--love it!

Using a pill box (the kind with each day of the week) to cut up fresh food like fruits, vegs and meats to freeze. Then when I want to pull out some tri tip, I just open one small square, pop out the food and thaw. Works so great and helps me take advantage of all the scraps without feeding the crabs the same food everyday. I got 2 trays at Target, each holds 2 weeks of food.

Getting rid of sponges. I'm so glad I have other ways to boost humidity without having to clean a sponge everyday and worry about the bacteria.

Using vinegar to clean tough spots on glass--works perfectly!

Use aquarium glue to seal off any metal tips found in plastic plants. I didn't know they were even there until I saw this tip and sure enough a little metal was poking through on some plants.

My bubblers are the best, it helped solve my humidity issues for the most part.

I love the jacuzzis for water dishes, they look cool in the tank and I love seeing the crabs hang out on the rock edges during the day. I just wish I didn't put sand under them.

Corner bath caddies are a huge hit, great place for moss and shells. I now have 3 caddies up.

I was told to buy gallon jugs of distilled water and to treat one with salt. This has been a big help in managing and storing my water.

I love my vines, so much fun to design pathways and watch the crabs climb about.

I love my ZooMed Hygrotherm to control temp and humidity. This took a lot of stress out of maintaining good conditions.

I love my Hermit Crab Patch shells (it's what got me started on this addition!)

I love the Addiction store, I never thought it would be so much fun buying worm poop! I love having so much variety to offer the crabs, it makes me feel like a good Crab Mama.

I love Oceanic salt water, it dissolves so easily and never leaves salt at the bottom of the dish.

My stinky fish net is a huge hit with the crabs, they climb all over, and even hang on it to sleep.

I love my cholla wood, I now have 3 in the tank, it's so fun to see a row of crabs hanging out on it.

I love the moss and so do my crabs, they spend all day there, I like that they don't dig down during the day and I can see them in the moss pit.

I love Es!!!!!! They're so much fun like everyone said, and those eyes are just adorable.

2. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

Thank you Mama Crabs!  I think this is my favorite list!  :chuckle:

I think my favorite tip so far is to expand my moss and EE with salt water.  It really keeps the mold away!

3. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Oh that's a good one n00b! I haven't had it long enough to see mold, but I sure hope my salt keeps it away. It's so great to learn from those that have already been through stuff.