1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crabs wont eat.. whats wrong?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Dillon, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

I just recently bought new food pellets for my 2 crabs, and they havent been eatting any of it from what i can see. i count how many i put in, and 1 or 2 days pass, and i still have the same amount in there. I think there may be bite marks on some of the pellets, but i cant tell. Is there a reason why a crab wouldnt eat? They drink often though because i just put in a little rock pool with a sponge in it, they seem to like it alot.

2. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

um commercial hermit crab food isnt good for hermit crab frwesh foods are wayyy better.
    also hermit crabs small pinchers arent the best for breaking up pellets,and do you offer both fresh water and salt water??

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Crabs generally don't eat pellets because pellets are, like Hermies4life said, bad for them. Crabs need to eat fresh fruits, veggies, and meats on a daily basis along with a source of calcium offered 24/7. Crabs in the wild don't eat pellets, so why would a crab in captivity want to eat them? You wouldn't want to eat the same bread every day for the rest of your life, and your crab doesn't want to eat the same thing every day either. If you want more information about what foods crabs need, check out Hermit Crab Cuisine and Welcome To Epicurean Hermit! - Index.

You only mention one crab - crabs are social creatures by nature and will get lonely and die more quickly if they're alone. I recommend you get him a friend, and that those two guys have at least a 10 gallon tank so they can get some exercise.

Also, you mention only one water source, and that it has a sponge - crabs actually don't drink from sponges like lots of pet stores say they do. Crabs need to have water deep enough that they can completely go underwater in it. You can provide them a way to climb out, but they need to be able to dunk their shells in it. Also, are you offering both a fresh water (dechlorinated) and an ocean water source for your crabs? They need a source of ocean water (from a salt water aquarium salt water mix) to get the minerals they need for normal life functions just like you and I need certain vitamins and minerals to stay healthy.

4. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

ummm i said i have two crabs, and i said that i had a rock pool that had the sponge in it. it has water in it and they go in it alot to drink from the sponge. if they dont like the sponge, then i assume they wouldnt drink from it. but yes i do need to get salt water for them. i should probably get my 55 gal tank first though. the pool takes up about 1/4th of the 10 gal tank i have now, and i cant really sacrifice much more room. and i was cautious about putting in fresh food because it easily attracts bugs.

5. emmac350

Sorry, I didn't see that you had mentioned that you had two crabs. My bad!

You don't need a big pool for now, but your crabs do need some salt water (use a brand like Oceanic or Instant Ocean, not any of the rubbish marketed as 'hermit crab salt water mix' or anything like that...those are not the right kind and can kill your crabs). I used two guinea pig food bowls for water when I had my 10g and it still left plenty of room. The bowls may not be quite deep enough, but they do need to have access to salt water. If they don't, they have to recycle their own urine to keep their shell water from over-hydrating their abdomens. Also, make sure you boil or dry out and microwave your sponge at least every other day or so to keep it from being a bacteria breeding ground. It'll keep your hermies from getting sick.

Fresh food shouldn't attract bugs if you change it out daily. Personally, I use mostly dried foods I get from the Addiction Store for my main food bowl and then have a shell with the fresh stuff. I change their food every evening, and I've had the occasional bug, but never the same type twice, so I think they mostly find their way in by accident.

6. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

tyvm for that note of information. I'll work on getting them some dried foods when i can get more money, and where can i get the Oceanic salt water? from a pet store? o.o

7. emmac350

Yeah - look in the fish section.

8. Trista

Trista Hi, I'm New Here!

i know that with my crab, you can't tell if it eats or not. but the only reason i know it is eating is because it kept its color and did not die.
    i hope that you can put my advice to good use...

Trista

9. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

Ok ty :3
    10char

10. Trista

Trista Hi, I'm New Here!

some crabs take small bites. The only way to tell if there eating is if the food they eat looks "fuzzy". and sometimes that can be difficult to spot. Two questions to ask yourself if he's not eating at all is
    1 Does the crab itself look pale? -if the crab is pale get help with it. pale is not a healthy color for the crab.
    2 Are you wetting the food before giving it to him. -some food requires the pellets to be moist. Some crabs will like it better that way.

I also hear that some crabs need to be put ontop of their food so that they know where it is.
    but if your hermit crab is still not eating or moving at all i would suggest taking it to a local pet shop and get some professional advice.

i hope everything turns out okay.:)

11. emmac350

If you're feeding your crabs pellets, I have no doubt as to why they don't eat - crabs don't naturally like pellets. Crabs can smell where the food is even if their antennae are broken off, but they smell where the food they would eat in the wild is and go for that. No pellets in the wild, so they really don't enjoy eating them.

Every pellet out there contains lethal chemicals for your crabs, so please stop feeding them! They will cause your crab to die earlier than he would have otherwise!

My adoptees were fed pellets and were always "picky eaters" that barely ate according to their last owner. I feed them real food, not pellets, and they trash the food bowl every night.

Also, some crabs naturally are paler than others. I have one who eats like a champ but has been pale since I bought him. Crabs come in a range of colors just like humans, so don't assume a pale crab is super unhealthy.

12. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

hmmm ya neither of them really look too pale o.o well with the little one, Nemo, he just molted so he is still kinda pinkish. but the bigger one, Spongebob, is dark. ill try wetting the pellets a little before i can get the real food. im kinda tight on money atm @.@ but they know where it is. they walk over it all the time and mess with the pellets sometimes.

umm do they like certain food due to their species? o.o because i have 2 PP's

13. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

my PPs like Dry Coconut, Carrots,Apple, And Tomatoes the best.
    They also like Brown or wild rice Cooked

14. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

welp, Nemo just died ._. he was out of his shell upside down and not moving. i guess it was from starvation or stress. im going to try feeding Spongebob some bananas so i know he is eatting something good. hmmm if my house temperature is 70 degrees, do i need a heat lamp? or will that just scorch them? i hope i didnt dry him out or anything DX

15. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Some crabs *are* naturally pale. My most out-going and active crab is practically white after two molts.

No pellets...easy solution.

Your crabs will find the food, and I'm not sure pet stores count as "professional advice" since most of them give incorrect and lousy information.

Sorry for your loss. It's never fun to lose a critter :(

There could be a lot of reasons your crab died - PPS, humidity issues, disease, etc. Without a good explanation/picture of your setup and all the facts, it would be very hard to pinpoint out an exact cause.

16. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

ya some pet store owners dont even know how to take care of most of the pets in their shop most of the time >.< yesh, it is sad T.T spongebob has been acting weird since yesterday. he is alot faster now and when i try to pick him up, he either tries to quickly scuddle away, or he will tightly hold on to something. i hope there isnt something wrong that is making him want to stay away from me D:

17. emmac350

If you haven't had him for 2 months, don't try to handle him. Otherwise, PPS can stress him to death.

You don't need to buy extra foods if you don't have the money. There are plenty of foods in your own house that crabs can eat. Pretty much all fruits and veggies (except for onions and garlic) are safe, and any meat that you're eating (cut off a piece before seasoning it) is safe. You can save the eggshell after you use one next and rinse it and microwave it for 15 seconds to kill any bacteria and offer that for calcium. There is plenty of fresh food you can offer. See the Epicurean Hermit Safe Food List for TONS of ideas - Welcome To Epicurean Hermit! - Index

18. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

ya, Spongebob dug a big hole today and is staying there. looks like he is destressing or probably molting, so i guess i wont touch him for now. he pitched me today as i was holding him so i guess he didnt want me picking him up >.< it also didnt look like he ate any of the slice of banana i gave him. i threw it out because there was already a bug in there by the time night came around.

and btw, how exactly do you mist them? because i pick them up by the back of their shell and spay them with the bottle of water 2 to 3 times then put them back. is that right?

19. emmac350

Wait - you mist your crabs directly? No, no, no! Haha, would you like it if you got sprayed in the face by a firehose? Neither do your crabs. If you're trying to humidify the tank, you spray the air in the tank and some of the ornaments so that they'll humidify the air while they dry. If you're trying to humidify the area when you're taking the crabs out, spray the air. Never spray your crab directly in their shell - that just sounds painful!

20. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

mkay o: i never really understood what they meant by misting them >.< i doubt i hurt them cuz i held them far away and only let the water trickle on them. but ya i was confused D:!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.