1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crabs are snobs!!!

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by cmpolara, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmpolara

cmpolara Hi, I'm New Here!

I recently posted in the Poison category about FMR food containing copper sulfate. I decieded to start doing some home cooked meals for my crabies. Either I stink as a crab chef or they didnt like what I was giving them. For the last two days i fed them zucinni, bell pepper, carrot, and albacore tuna, with a little powdered oyster shell. It looked like for the most part the foods were untouched. So I decided to put in just a little bit of the FMR food. The reaction was unbelivable. Almost all my crabs made a dash for the food dish. That made me feel horrible. Were my crabies turing their noses up at my culinary attempts or are they just so used to eating the FMR food that they are finicky now? [​IMG]

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Crabs can become conditioned to commercial food. They also sometimes don't recognize real food as food until they've seen it a few times.

If you're worried about the FMR leave it out of the tank. They will eat their fresh food, it might take them a few days to get the idea, but they WILL eat.

My crabs have gotten used to eating all sorts of fresh foods and will eat most anything I put in the tank now.

Patience is the key; many things we try to serve them, though perfectly edible, are things they never saw in the wild and they won't know what to do with them at first.

Offer a new food at least three times before you give up on it, about a month apart each try.

3. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

My guys are partial to FMR as well. I am trying to "wean" them off by using a smaller amount each time and mixing it with fresher foods until they get the idea. But it is a trial, they are stubborn. They hate the other commercial foods, with the exception of HBH hermit crab variety bites, they devour that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.