1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my crabs are not eating

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by crabby_Patty, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabby_Patty

crabby_Patty Hi, I'm New Here!

hi!!! im pete and my hermit crabs aren't eating or eating very little...
    i am feeding them animal science hermit crab food, cuttle fish bone, bread crumb and powdered rice as recomended by my pet local pet store owner what can i do to entice them to eat...

PLEASE HELP [​IMG] javascript:void(0)
    Confused

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Hi, and welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

I'm not familiar with Animal Science hermit crab food, but overall that sounds like kind of an odd diet to reccomend. Hermit crabs enjoy a huge range of foods, and in fact much prefer diversity in their diet. They should not be offered anything with table salt or other preservatives in it, but besides that there are surprisingly few restrictions. I think your crabs may want to see more variety: that mix is unlikely to cover the full range of their nutritional requirements.

Some favorites of my crabs:

Fish or shrimp, unseasoned. (I offer meat at least once a week, and usually more often.)
    dried fruits (from the natural foods grocery: most at the regular supermarket have preservatives, though raisins usually don't)
    fresh fruits
    air-popped popcorn
    baby food, especially ones with meat in the mix
    scrambled eggs (made with nothing added)

Check out http://epicureanhermit.com for food lists and recipe ideas!

Having said all that ... if your crabs are new, they may not eat very much at first. They usually need some time to adjust. Even when they start eating, you may not notice at first since they'll not eat much, and they'll do it in the dead of night. Good luck with your crabs!

3. jkohler1

jkohler1 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi, I am not sure how familiar you are with hermit crabs, but in addition to food, make sure you are providing them with dechlorinated fresh water and dechlorinated salt water. There are many sources for the dechlorinator and salt. Humidity 70-80% (relative humidity) and about 74 degrees farenheit for their crabitat. Hermit crabs also enjoy eating flowers and bark! They eat almost anything as long as it is not toxic. Preferably organic

4. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I was concerned w/ my crabs not eating for awhile. To check, smooth out the "smoothable" food (liquids & powders) and see if there are little dents in the food the next morning. I discovered that my crabs were eating, just being sneaky about it.

5. crabby_Patty

crabby_Patty Hi, I'm New Here!

thanx 4 all ur help [​IMG]

6. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

try giving your crabbies some bannana or appple or mango if you can get them try another fruit my crabbies love fruits [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.