1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crabs are fighting, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by LolaGranola, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

:dontknow:

2. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

Often a pair of crabs will get into a shoving match or appear to fight when all they are doing is playing crabby politics. If you are worried keep an eye on them. If one of them is a new crab you might consider giving them a quick dip in the water dish to make them smell like the rest of the tank but other than that I would let nature take it's course. Hermit Crabs need to be able to establish dominance and a pecking order within the tank. Seperating them will only prolong the inevitable and possible stress the crab you are removing.

Just make sure that you have plenty of appropriate shells and plenty of fresh protein foods available (shrimp, silversides, tuna).

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Agreeing with Lola on everything a thought is that the hermies in captivity have no place to run to....if it were me if I saw real aggression, trying to take legs off etc I think seperating them is a good idea. Often things can settle later. True it can still be an issue but a time-out is not a bad idea for real aggression or maybe another/different tank. Alot of us often have more than one tank. Something to think about

4. Cmora

Cmora Guest

This was interesting thread to me....I just witnessed my first "crab shoving match". I think you were right when you talked about an
    "pecking order".

One of my little E's attempted to dig right next to my Large E' Houdini. It was the strangest thing almost like a kid testing you. The little E would dig than get closer and closer to where Houdini was. All of a sudden they both raised up on their hind legs and Houdini shoved the little E and sent it sprawling!!!! It was funny! I kept watching them to see if the little E would come back for more but he was smart and didn't.

Houdini went about his business and proceeded to bury himself in peace.

So far thats been it (as far as I know) for aggression in our Crabitat.

Blessings,
    Cmora

5. CrabE

CrabE Guest

I think you shouldn't be too worried, unless they are trying to rip each other out of their shells or something. Is it just a pair of crabs, or all of them? Anyway, good luck! :icon_thumleft:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.