1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crabitat, what do you think?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by jkohler1, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkohler1

jkohler1 Hi, I'm New Here!

This is my crabitat thus far, the relative humidity is at a constant 80% by using a tropic aire humidifier and air exchanger. The temperature is a constant 75 degreess F. by using an under the tank heater (UTH) I also use a 15w exo terra moonglow bulb at night which raises the temp to 77 degrees F. I run the light on a timer and only stays on a couple of hours at night. I use a high quality cigar thermohygrometer to accurately read the temp/humidity in the crabitat. I am currently using beach sand in the crabitat and in one corner I am using calcisand. I plan on adding another level in the crabitat by using an aquarium landing and will outfit each landing with moss and coconut fiber. I also plan on adding two bubbler bowls, one for each freshwater and saltwater. I know it is hard to see anything in there but there actually is a large cave in the far right corner complimented by hanging plants. There is also a large fresh and saltwater pool in the back left corner. In the dish that is showing in one of the photos is not dirty water but fresh coconut juice and flesh! I have three crabs in there all hiding right now and my 4th crab is molting in an isolation tank (iso) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My crabs enjoy the crabitat, what do you all think?

2. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

i love it!
    (it makes my tank look like a jail cell [​IMG])

3. jkohler1

Thanks, I got the calcisand wet and smelled it, it is nasty! I just spent the last 30 minutes getting it all out of there. I think I am going to start usting play sand as this expensive aquarium stuff is killing me in cost! I live in Germany so everything here is extra expensive. I buy most my stuff from www.petdiscounters.com.

4. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

petdiscounters is great.That's where I got my shells online for the first time when I had just started crabbing.

I love your crabitat.I'm sure the crabs like all that beach sand.[​IMG]I like that nifty little pink tree you've got in the back.

Anyway,thanks for sharing the pictures of your awesome 'tat,and welcome to HCRU.[​IMG]

5. jkohler1

6. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

7. jkohler1

I don't like to order in large quantities either, thats why I buy from www.naplesseashellcompany.com you can buy one or two or three or 100 it doesn't matter. They have a great selection.

8. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Nice setup! I have tons of stuff in my tank too ... sometimes it's hard to find the crabs, but I think they like it that way!

If you want to offer calci-sand, you can put it in a dish. I did this for a while: I buried the dish in the sand so that it was walking-level, but didn't take on moisture. Now I mix aragonite into my sand. Aragonite is pricy, but it can take being wet, and contains calcium for snacking. I found that it doesn't make good tunnels when used alone. It dries out too fast and then the tunnels collapse.

9. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I have hermit crab sand...and that's all it's called. It looks like it'd stink like calcisand, but for some reason it doesn't. and when used half n half w/ EE, the tank smells down right nice.

10. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

I use marine sand, and it doesn't smell either.
    Mixed with the EE, my tank smells tropical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.