1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crabitat make-over :)

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by LilHermieOnes, Oct 7, 2008.

1. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

Here is my Crabby Kindom re-decorated for my sweeties  :wub:

[img=500x321]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jessicasmommie/pics/IMG_2996-1.jpg[/img]

[img=500x363]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jessicasmommie/pics/IMG_2997-1.jpg[/img]
    Cole(on the left) and Jasmine(on the right)

[img=500x352]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jessicasmommie/pics/IMG_3010-1.jpg[/img]

[img=500x386]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jessicasmommie/pics/IMG_3011-2.jpg[/img]
    Quite a few of my guys are out in these pics  :sunny:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Well aint that purdy!!! Love the pink flowers. Dont you love when its fresh n clean- that is awesome  :straw:

3. imported_mommy2crabs

imported_mommy2crabs (Small Crab)

Awww a fairytale come true for crabs! They are so lucky!  :rainbow:

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Ooooo....too cool!  :clever66:

5. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

hey! what's that thing in the top corner of your tank? Looks like a plastic box with seaweed in it? I'm getting a bigger and better aquarium tomorrow and I want to be sure I get everything I need....

6. LilHermieOnes

Thanks everyone!  :sunny:

Mrs.Crabs~ I have 2 plastic shower caddies with suction cups attached to them, that I put hermie friendly moss in...they love to sit in and dig around in it, sometimes a few of them will sleep in it  :sunny: It also helps with the humidity in the tank  :yes2:

7. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

do you use lights for heat or heat pad?  I know I can find my answer in the posts..I just prefer it this way..call me lazy...crab lazy.
    again...........very kewl pics!!! :kpics:

I'm a pain eh hermez???I know your reading this..My daughter (and me) love this site....everyone is so nice....  :huggies:she soooooooooooo happy she has Hermie friends. Me too!

8. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

WOW!!! so many ideas....My Crabs are going to be so happy this weekend. Going to the dollar store to get some of those....and I guess the petshop will have the moss...so kewl!!
    I don't know if you heard...but 2 of our crabs died this week. (I know your listening HERMEZ)....ya..Mrs.Crabs had a serface molt...I thought she was fine..and then.. :crybaby2: and today we found little Tevez in the Crab Hotel..but he wasn't alone...Pirate ate him. Couldn't she just have some of his shell? so we punished her today...well...my daughter punished her...put her in iso. I hope she doesn't touch little Milton tonight....He's not molting or anything...do they just bother the molting ones...or can they just be a bad crab and eat the little ones for fun? :sad5:
    I don't like her very much.

9. LilHermieOnes

I live in Florida and don't really need to use a heating pad or anything for actual heat, I do however use daylight and night light bulbs which are heated, but again, I don't use them for heat, I use them so the hermies have a more natural day and night time, since this is what they get in the wild, I believe its benefical for their hormones  :yes2:

I have all sizes of hermies, from dime/nickel size to lemon and small orange size in my crabitat together for 1 1/2 years with no problems at all. I don't think your larger hermie is to blame for eatting the smaller one...she is probably just malnurished...she needs calcium and protien rich foods to meet her dietary needs...if given the proper foods, I really don't think you should have a problem with her being with your smaller sweeties  :flower:

10. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I love your tank and i bet the hermies do as well, i am wondering about your water dishes, how deep are they and where did you get them from? i am always looking for dishes that are smaller but deep at least 3 or 4 inches deep. I wish someone out there would make a line of hermie water dishes, i have looked at all types and most of them are reptile dishes. To get the right depth you gotta buy a huge dish which i dont want or need. Just want the depth.

11. LilHermieOnes

These water dishes are around 1 1/2 inches deep, they are pretty wide though. I got them from Crabbage Patch when I ordered my first hermies from her. They are really nice and plenty deep and wide for my guys to get into for shell water and drinking  :yes2:

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

Ooohhh pretty!!! Awesome job with the tank! I bet the crabs love it.

13. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

GOT MY TANK TODAY!!!! :shmama: They wanted 80$...I got it for only 20$! It's 32" long, 14" wide and 18" high. It had a small crack at the bottom(I'll just glue it a bit)....and it was a tad used......it looked new to me... and we're going to the US on Saturday to get the rest of the stuff. Everything here in Canada is almost double the price. I also saw this cool little heating device...it was like a sticker that sticks under the tank and you plug it in and "voila".
    They told me at the petshop they don't need the heat lamp if I have this.....what do you think? I can't wait!!!! I'll have my daughter post a pic of the old tank and the new tank some time this weekend...
    Thanks guys for all your help! I'm sure my daughter will be on line after school... she loves you guys! She can't believe there is people like us out there who love hermit crabs.....and you guys all know so much about them. It's ...it's....it's CRAZY!!!!! :spunky:  in a good way.

14. LilHermieOnes

They should still have a day time and night time cycle.

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

The UTH mats(the heat mat you mentioned) won't heat the tank much. You'd definately be better off skipping the UTH and getting a reptile hood and lights.

16. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

Oh.....I may have a problem with that since my new tank doesn't have a top...I guess I have to buy that too........my husband is going to kill me. I told him the crabs are my new babies and they won't cost as much as a REAL new baby.....so it's a win win situation. :hermzpoo:.and they poop alot less than a new baby........and they don't talk back when they grow up.. :no:
    I told him when I get toooooooo crazy to just smack me one upside the head... :bat:
    But I think down deep inside he loves the little buggers too. :wub:

I think I'm going to go with the UTH mat and a sun glow light bulb....? well...we'll see.

17. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

That's what they had going on in the store......It was pretty warm...They're getting new little baby crabs tomorow....I think I'll go take a look. I'll leave my money at home to be sure I'm ONLY taking a LOOK...I can't help myself...if it's all alone and cute....maybe I'll ring a few dollars. :rubhands:

18. LilHermieOnes

Vicki is right :yes2: I never messed with an UTH, I just bought a hoodlight and daylight bulbs and night light bulbs. The UTH will warm the substrate, but won't keep your tanks air at a sufficient enough temperature for your hermies.

19. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

I guess I better get a job!!!!!  :whaaaat:
    o.k............I guess you'll all see what I do soon........I should have the situation in progress by Sunday. Thanks for all the advice peeps!!!!!!!! :rockz:

20. LilHermieOnes

The set up, in the begining, can be pricey, but once you have all the necesities, they aren't that much of an expense to keep :flower: