1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crabitat has bugs in it! My crab has bugs on him!

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by LolaGranola, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

:dontknow:

2. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Ants: once I had ants coming in for some poppy seeds that were in the beach sand I used for the crabitat. I removed the crabs to a large plastic tub and covered the tub w/ a wet bathtowel and put in a fresh water dish. Then I took all of the ant infested sand and microwaved it for a long time (9 minutes or so, if memory serves) in a glass pie pan. (I was amazed at how long ants can live in the microwave!) That got rid of the existing ants. And I returned the crabs to the tank once the sand had time to cool off. To keep them from the returning to the tank, I poured ground cloves (from the spice rack) around the outside of the tank and around the base of the stand (my 10 gal is on a bookshelf). Cloves are an irritant to ants and hermit crabs, so make sure you don't get any cloves in the crabitat or anywhere near the crabs.

3. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

I'm assuming these are hypothetical ?'s.....

If you have bugs, first you need to determin what type of bugs they are . Most likely they are mites. Mites are usually tiny white bugs, but some can be red. The red ones are usually on strawberry crabs, and difficult to get rid of. I have heard of using "predatory mites" to get rid of these type. Other wise, give your crab a bath in ISO/dechlor water every day until you no longer see the mites. Keep them in an ISO tank, preferably with paper towels as a substrate, and change them every day. All the materials in the tank need to be either thrown out...substrate....or cleaned. You may boil plants and shells, and you can bake or micro any wood(being careful not to burn it). Clean the tank also...I would use baking soda and water, but others may have a different idea of what to clean the tank with. Rinse with super hot water.

4. jedediah

jedediah Guest

I disagree with Crabby1 - mostly likely the bugs are NOT mites but insects, unless you haveintroduced a new crab from the petshop. You need to determine what kind of bug you have, they might be harmless or even beneficial. I did a guide to crabitat bugs here:
    http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=166.0

My crabs have lived with booklice and springtails in one tank for years now.

5. Crabby1

Well, I didn't say it wasn't possible to get other types of bugs, and I did say you needed to determin what type of bugs you have, I just stated that the most common type of bug to get is mites and info on how to get rid of mites.

6. jedediah

jedediah Guest

If the bugs just turn up and you haven't just put a new crab in the tank, they are very likely not mites and probably not even harmful. Mites that are harmful to the crabs are not that common after all.
    But your info on hwo to get rid of the bugs if fine and will work on any kind of bugs, be it insect or mite :icon_smile:

7. Crabby1

I've never seen any other kind of bug...I've never had mites either, but I've seen mites on crabs at the store.
    What the heck kinda bugs just "pop" up? I can see the ANT thing because that is an outside bug getting in...but really other bugs? Gross!! Yuck!! :icon_puke_r: I just thought there were other types of mites. I didn't know crabs had other bugs. :dontknow: eeeeewwww! Hope I don't get any!

8. jedediah

jedediah Guest

Mites that feed on your crabs are the ones that don't just pop up because they usually are transferred from one animal to the other. Other bugs, especially booklice and springtails, live in or around the house anyway and are much more likely to turn up suddenly in the tank - they love it there. Springtails for example may live in your house plants. But they are harmless and if you can stand having them crawling around in the tank, they will eat the crab poop for you :)

9. CrabE

CrabE Guest

Uh oh! Could you give us a description of what the bugs look like??? Anyway, take everything out of the crabitat, and wash it throughouly. Then, bake them in the oven, as well as the substrate. Give all of the hermies a bath, and let them air-dry. Hopefully, this will help! Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.