1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Crabitat/Crabs

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Spiffy-Kat, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris30507

Chris30507 "Never Molted"

Every time I come here you folks raise my interest in SOMETHING else...
    this time it's SALT.
    I see you mentioned the Salt and it being 'weak'....
    I bought something called HBH Hermit Crab Salt (it says "with extra calcium")
    HOW so you know if it has enough salt or not.... It say to add 1 teaspoon to one cup of water...
    I know I'm not to bright,.. but if the salt water was too 'weak'... couldn't you just add more salt to the water (say 1-1/2 teaspoons to one cup of water..??)

Is this supposed to be any good or not..?? I trying to learn??

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I posted the same question about the salinity content too....I use the same brand.

3. Chris30507

Chris30507 "Never Molted"

yeah... thats what prompted my question...
    I saw you never got a reply.
    I suppose it got overlooked.... was hoping someone would jump in and educate me (us)

4. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

I'm not 4 sure but,does'nt it say to use however much salt per gallon?
    I think that's what it says on instant ocean. (That's what I use) I get like a measuring cup that has all these different things on it,and I measure out what I think should be in my corner water pool. Which I will either put one third and sometimes I'll put one half stir it & pour it in. I have a straw & it a couple days I'm possibly going to get 2,more. I hope it helps but,I'm not an expert so you should prolly just wait till more people respond,I don't want to be wrong & then you hurt your hermies.

5. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

I'm still stuck with this Zoo.Med. Salt. *sigh*

This time I added a touch more of it to the water, like barely anything, just for the time being. They seem to be using it and doing okay.

I need to get some new salt.. Stupid stores.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

The only thing we add more salt to is when the crabs have mites, we suggest doing a double strength salt water bath.

I'd suggest getting a brand more people use, typically anything marketed towards hermit crabs in pet stores aren't the greatest for them. Doc Wellfish, Instant Ocean, Oceanic and another one that I can't think of at the moment. Most of these are what crabbers use. Follow the directions on the box, I want to say for brhine. Unfortunately I don't use any of these, I get Petco's Natural Ocean Water. 5 gallons for $11.99 and there's no mixing.

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

The HH has directions for mixing it by the cup. Should I add extra salt to make it stronger? When I run out of this stuff I plan to check in to something else. I didn't know you could buy ready to use salt water...however, I refuse to set foot in my local Petco after my run in with an idiot manager who had a know-it-all ego! TOld me I needed to stick to products designed for hermit crabs and not be experimenting with other stuff:mad:...like the goldfish suggestion.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Should you go in there and he gives you grief, feel free to hand him my phone number and I will have a chat with the guy.

However, if you have another store that has salt water fish, they may sell salt water by the gallon. They do out here, you just bring in your container. Call around and ask, can't hurt. I can get a price out here for you, if they don't know what to charge.

As for the HH you're using, I would just mix it as it says to. Someone else might know more on this, but i wouldnt risk it. Offer them both dishes to regulate their own shell water and they should be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.