1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Crabitat/Crabs

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Spiffy-Kat, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

I thought I'd share a few pictures, because the photo album thinger won't let me upload. :[ Sorry for a bit of bad quality, some were taken on my phone.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/DSC03369.jpg
    The crabitat, so perty. :] Comes with swimmingpool water dish, "Crab Worx Hotel" and "Crab Worx Diner"

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/DSC03377.jpg
    HOWARD! One of my favourite pictures.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/P1000166.jpg
    Nameless crab #2 and Howard.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/P1000158.jpg
    And again

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/DSC03455.jpg
    Nameless crab #1, going for the popcorn...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/DSC03382.jpg
    Howard on the sponge [note the diving board in the back xD]

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/DSC03376.jpg
    Haha!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/DSC03582.jpg
    Nameless #1, eating my AWESOME salad

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/Spiffy-Kat123/P1000126.jpg
    Nameless #1 on the sponge

I have like 5000 more pictures, but I just randomly picked a few.
    Enjoy. :]

PS- I've been looking around for safe plants and wood to add to the tank, so don't worry it won't be too bare for long!

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Thanks for sharing your photos. Love the one of your crab on the diving board!:)

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I hope you can take this advice- I am not being picky or mean but if you want what is best for the crabs......

you have E's.........they will never use the shells you have out as they are way too big and the wrong type- certain species only take certain kinds of shells.

The sand you have is not deep enough
    You need salt water especially if you have E's!!
    You have commercial food which is bad for the crabs- go visit Vicki's store for nutrient rich foods there is a mix just for E's too
    E's need to climb so you can add a net to the back of the tank and they like to hide so get some green leaves and stuff in there too.

These suggestions are essental to the health and well being of your crabbies :)

4. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

Listen to HERMEZ, she knows what shes talking about. E's especially need deeper sand because they are one of the most active species and they love to dig. You really need some salt water too because unlike PP's and some other crabs their native home is on the beach itself so they get lots of saltwater in their natural habitat. The commercial food has to go. Try making your own or buy some from vicki. You gotta trust us on that one, that is probobly one of the best changes you can make for your crab. They also love to climb so as HERMEZ said get a net for climbing or leaves to hide in. One of the cheapest and easiest ways to do that is to get some choya wood for climbing on and a little coconut hermie hut for hiding. Those are what I use and sometimes when they want a snack they nibble on it. E's also need shells with a narrower opening because their body structure is more narrow than most other species. Try doing all of this stuff and I think you should be in pretty good shape.

5. Spiffy-Kat

Kay thanks guys!

Ya I know I need salt water/bigger shells, I've been searching around how to make a salt water mixture/measure the crabs.
    Oh ya I already took the commercial stuff out a while ago. :] That picture was just when the tank was given. :p

And thanks for the other advice too. :] Boxing day shopping will do me wonders. =D

6. krackersmom2

Don't forget to buy a commercial sea salt mix...like Instant Ocean etc and dechlorinate the water you mix it with. These guys on this website have been great in critiquing my crab care as well. They all mean well and want to help you have happy, healthy, long living hermies!

7. Spiffy-Kat

Finally, a store in town with an appriciation for hermit crabs!

Okay, I bought some climbing plants, better shells, more sand, and a real hermit crab salt water conditioner. Also a heating pad for their favourite corner. :]

Pictures soon, thanks for comments!

8. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

Glad to hear you've found a good store! I'd be cautious about the crab salt water conditioner though. I know that the ones I've heard about (including the one I used my first week) aren't salty enough. Most people here seem to use Instant Ocean, Oceanic or some other marine aquarium salt with dechlorinated water.

9. Spiffy-Kat

10. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

Yeah, that's the stuff I was using when I first got my crabs. It's not very strong and it's very expensive in the long run. Try looking in the fish section for marine salts like Instant Ocean. (Some people here don't care for IO but I haven't had a problem with it yet...Not sure what other brands to recommend.) You may find that a lot of "hermit crab supplies" are, well, junk. Often there is a cheaper, better alternative than the stuff marketed for hermies! Lol.

11. Spiffy-Kat

Haha thanks a bunch! :]
    I'll look next time I'm out.

My crabs have already taken a "salt water" bath in that stuff, so do you think it's okay to use it for a couple days until I can get a better conditioner? Or take it out ASAP?

12. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

It's my guess that having it is better than nothing at all... but replace it with better soon. I'm not aware that it's dangerous, just not very beneficial. The yellow color kinda creeps me out though!

13. Spiffy-Kat

Okay, thank you! I don't know what I'd do without this place. :]

Ya the yellow freaks me out too.. Looks a bit like.. urine.. Bahaa =P

14. krackersmom2

I use the HH brand salt. Does anyone else know if it has enough salt in it? How much salt content should I look for onthe label?

15. Spiffy-Kat

Hey krackersmom2, what does HH stand for? Because I can google reviews for it for you. :]

Also I heard about temp/humidity gauges. I know I'm going to sound like a TOTAL newbie, but do I need those? Because I'm not a very rich kid, haha, and I can't buy offline either. Is there a cheaper substitute? If not, does anyone know how much $ gauges are?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  16. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

Gauges are cheap and YES, you need them. :) It's very important that your tank stays in the correct temp and humidity ranges and without gauges you have no way of knowing. I actually have three of each in my tank so I can monitor the temperature gradient from end to end and bottom to top. Lol. I'm a bit of a data geek though. I would expect to pay about $10 for a perfectly useable combo gauge. I bought a digital one and have found it to be less reliable than the cheaper dial types. Make sure to calibrate the humidity gauge before using it. The instructions are on this site somewhere...

17. Spiffy-Kat

10 $? Haha, what the heck was I worrying about. xD
    Department/hardware stores should have them, right? Or should I look in a pet shop?

18. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

I've bought mine at the pet store but other people have suggested wal-mart, and other stores as well. My favorite gauge of my three is actually designed for hermit crabs and has both temp and humidity in one unit. This so far is the only thing "designed" for hermies that I've ended up liking! Look in the reptile section of your pet store and see what they have....

19. Spiffy-Kat

Cool stuff! I'll see what they have..

Thanks for the help everyone. ^^

20. vckums

vckums Moderator

Also check Ebay for items. I've found used items pretty cheap there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.