1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my crabbehs

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Animallover, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Animallover

Animallover Hi, I'm New Here!

[img=400x300]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy324/personyperson/kiwi2003.jpg[/img]
    kiwi and burt
    [img=400x300]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy324/personyperson/kiwi2014.jpg[/img]
    kiwi after shell change

:hermzpoo: i luv my crabbehs :hermzpoo:

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

How many gallons is the tank that you are currently housing your hermit crabs in,  Personyperson? What type of substrate do you use, and what are you feeding your crabs? :hula:

3. Animallover

I have a 20 gal glass aquarium; I use playsand as substrate (sorry if the pic makes it look weird  :sign10: ) and I give my crabs a mix of foods such as eggshell eggwhite fruits such as banana veggies such as tomato ( the fruit not stem / leaf) small portions of unseasoned cooked meats etc:) I hope I am being a good hermie mommy :)
    add info: temp is in 70's / 80's I don't have humidity gauge but I mist tank every day ;I cover about seven eighths of tank with plastic wrap
    and so far i have healthy happy crabs so hopefully I'm doing good! :cheer:  :banana:

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Your tank set up, and hermit crabs' diet, sounds pretty good! Do you have both a fresh water bowl AND a salt water bowl? And are they either dechlorinated/distilled?

5. Animallover

I have freshwater that is dechlorinated and currently do not have saltwater because I'm not sure which brand is best ; I don't want to make my crabbies sick  :sad4: do you have any suggestions?

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Yes. I was wondering the same thing, earlier in the year. The Hermit Crab Addiction Forum members, recommended Oceanic salt. No salt that is specialized for hermit crabs, or mentions hermit crabs in the title, is good and/or healthy for your hermit crabs.

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Marine salt is what must be used for hermit crabs.
    Aquarium salts do not give the crabs the salinity that they need, and there is nothing in the salts to stabilize the PH as there is in Marine Salts.

Crabs don't need the "salt" out of the salt water, they need the trace elements that are found in ocean water, things like calcium, bromine, etc.
    Instant Ocean, Oceanic, and Red Sea Salt are all good ocean mix brands.

Don't use the HBH salt that you find in Pet Stores.  It doesn't work and it uses just plain salt (like table salt) to make "salt water." 

8. Animallover

Thanks! there is a place relatiely close by me that sells pet fish (freshwater and saltwater) so im gonna go there and get the marine salt because i think they sell it there. if not ill just order it online.  :wav:

9. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Oh, yeah. That's a good idea! If you are going to order it online, I recommend you order it from either the Hermit Crab Addiction Store, (do they have it, anyway?) or the LiveHermitCrabs.com store. There are links to both, on the left-hand side of the site, under the tab, 'Other Sites'. :yes2:

10. Mckenny

Yes the Addiction sells it for $1.00 in a pre-measured package.  It makes one gallon.  :flower:

11. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Oh, wow! Thanks for letting me know! I could have just bought it from here, instead of searching forever in a very expensive pet store, for marine salt, that isn't specialized for hermit crabs, and/or toxic/unhealthy for them. Instead, I can buy it for $1.00, guaranteed to be safe, from the Hermit Crab Addiction Store! And best of all, I will be supporting my forum's, store!
    Thank you, Jellybean! I appreciate your help! :flower:

12. Mckenny

You're welcome, as always.  :hug2:

Saltwater aquariums that have the beautiful saltwater fish use only Marine Salt, and that's the type of salt that needs to be used for the hermies.

Instant Ocean sells a smaller bag for under $10, but usually the three main companies that are trusted sell it in the bigger bags.  $$$$
    (Oceanic, Red Sea, and Instant Ocean)  :flower:

13. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Who was this post directed to, Jellybean? Me, Personyperson, or just anyone in general, who needed the information? :idunno:

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Hi your crabbies are cute- Thanks for posting the pics  :party:

15. Mckenny

To you Hermies4ever.  :petals:

I just added the little ditty about the types of saltwater mix.

16. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Oh, than thank you!
    I much appreciate the time and effort,
    you have put up,
    to help me understand,
    what type of salt mix,
    is the best for my hermit crabs,
    and where I can purchase it! :flower:

17. Mckenny

As soon as you can personyperson, you need to buy a Hygrometer-humidity gage.  You can get a temp/humidity gage at Walmart for around $7.  It's very important that the crabitat be in a good humidity range. 

One the single most critical element of keeping land hermit crabs alive would have to be keeping their environment humid.  Land hermit crabs have modified, stiffened gills which allow them to breathe air. They are GILLS, however, and not lungs, so they are not able to breathe as we do. The air a hermit crab breathes has to be humid or the gills will dry out and the crab will endure a long unpleasant death of suffocation, similar to a human's death by dehydration.

Do not overdo the humidity, however. Like all things, too much of it can be bad for the crabs and they literally can drown.  It can also cause unhealthy bacteria to bloom in their habitat. I have personally gone for months without a single crab death, and I firmly believe that having adequate humidity in the tank is on of the main reasons.  If your hermies are acting listless and bored, check your humidity gages so you can rule out that they  might be struggling for breath.

A good humidity range is 74* to 82*.  The Strawberry type of hermit crab seems to like it at the higher humidity level (82*).

A good temp range is 73* to 82*.  I have seen where some keep it closer to 82-84*, but for me that's just a tad too high.  If the temp is much higher than that, there's a danger that the crabs' gills could dry out causing suffocation and a very painful death.

These are the rule of thumb that I go by, and so far I've had good luck with my tank.  Hope this helps...  :flower:

18. Animallover

thanks!
    ill be sure to get some :)
    i will :) thanks for all the advice  :rockon: